Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: replacing hard drive  (Read 3383 times)

oilyspill

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    replacing hard drive
    « on: October 24, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
    I want to replace my hard drive in another computer. The hard drives don't look too pricey, around a 100 bucks. I doubt that old cheap computer had an expensive hard drive in it? A new hard drive doesn't have an operating system, does it? Unless you use some type of linux, a new operating system is around 200 bucks for windows, correct? Can I do this for less than 300 bucks. I don't know that much about linux. thanks

ninjatex

Beginner

• Call The Ninja
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: replacing hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:09 PM »
    Hard drives do not come with operating systems on them. If you're replacing a hard drive in a computer, you'll either have to clone your old drive's data onto it and expand the partitions to fill up the free space or install Windows onto your new hard drive and then transfer over your files from the old one. You can install Windows by buying an installation disk or using the recovery/installation disk that came with your computer.

To better answer your question, why are you replacing the old drive?

Senior Technician at Call The Ninja Computer Repair
    Serving Eugene, OR
    http://www.calltheninja.com

oilyspill

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:34:55 AM »
      I recently installed a fix-it utility. Now, I can't do anything on that computer cause a security warning pops up on everything. Have to work around the warning, takes twice as long to go anywhere. The computer also keeps trying to scan for viruses. The scan finds problems by the bucket full. Then it wants 80 bucks to fix everything. I tried to uninstall the fix-it utility in programs/features, no luck.

I recently moved and I don't think I have the start-up disk for the old computer. I don't mind replacing the hard-drive. I may just try a linux program and forget windows? thanks

luck of the irish

Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »
      have you tried uninstalling fix-it in safe mode? fix-it finds registry errors, Free windows Registry Repair (http://www.regsofts.com/) is a free fix for registry errors.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:02:39 PM »
      1) DO NOT USE ANY REGISTRY UTILITIES - EVER. At best, they do absolutely nothing. But some of them can leave your system useless.

2) Why not just reformat the drive you have - why buy a new one?
      « Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:32:34 PM by Allan »

oilyspill

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
        Thanks everybody. Some of your questions are over my head. I guess I can look-up safe mode and reformatting hard drive. thanks

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:53:14 PM »
        We can assist you thru this if you don't get intimidated by terminology you may be unfamiliar with...

But i will take the opportunity to point out how bad all these alleged fixit apps are in reality...

Don't misunderstand...most are unaware at the time they decide to try/use them...
        Best thing you could do though is spread the word...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oilyspill

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
          I think it is fixed, so far so good. I want to thank everybody. I tried to restore system in regular mode, message popped up that said can't comply because of virus. I rebooted in safe mode, restore system worked in safe mode.  I guess virus and fixit utilities is removed. I couldn't have done it without you guys. thanks

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »
          Just for edification...what protection apps do you have ? ?
          We can collectively suggest a totally Free package for you that will serve you well...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "