Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hi newbie needs help with a toshiba tecra a3 sound issue.  (Read 3823 times)

billy1980

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi newbie needs help with a toshiba tecra a3 sound issue.
    « on: October 29, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »
    Hi all,
            I'm really at my wits end with what seems a very common problem with my tecra a3, i no its old and i shouldnt be such a tight wad but it does for everything i need except onething, I have no sound and im lead to believe its a sound card issue....... can anyone help????   |V|

Id be eternally greatful.

Kind regards
    Billy

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hi newbie needs help with a toshiba tecra a3 sound issue.
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:39:56 AM »
    What OS are you running and is there an available USB port free for a USB sound adapter?

My daughters computer had an issue with Foxconn Motherboard integrated sound adapter dying, and I added a StarTech USB sound adapter for $13 from newegg. She is running Windows XP Pro SP3 with 1GB DDR400 on a Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz. This was the cheapest fix since I didnt want to put much money into a Pentium 4 system. She is happy with it now because she is 8yrs old, but at some point I will be faced with her wanting to run something that the Pentium 4 wont be able to handle. So far so good with it loading her leapster games etc and her favorite game Angry Birds, as well as all other educational games that she can play that have been added to approved sites. Game her very restricted access!

For a laptop, this is the only solution other than replacing main board if it is truely a blown audio circuit like my daughters was. My daughters system is a computer tower that I spray painted the boring beige tower pink at her request. I could have installed a sound card, but this USB adapter was the cheapest solution. Other benefit also is that I added a USB extender cable, and so if she gets up with headphones on and walks off it simply disconnects from the USB port on the extender as a quick release, snapping off in USB port on motherboard.