Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Help - Toshiba Satellite A500-S6014 won't boot makes screaming noise!  (Read 10553 times)

Diverjonathan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6014 that is now making and when it does it locks up and won't boot.What ever is causing this is locking up my computer and stopping Windows from loading normally.

I was looking online for help, I came across this video below where this guy shows how to "reset" your laptop to factory specs. But, the noise heard here is the same one that my laptop is making. I was not trying to reset my computer nor did I press the "0" and Pwr key at the same time. I reloaded a piece of software, Microsoft SQL Server 5.x Compact Edition because there seemed to be an issue with it. when this software load completed I started having issues. Some sort of "Toshiba" software popped up across the top of the screen, there were 8 to 10 icons. I had thought it was "Toshiba Assist" or some part of it. Anyway I have tried all basic troubleshooting techniques I can think of including replacing the HD and reloading the factory software. My repair CD's would not work so I dropped the $30 bucks and purchased the "Toshiba Recovery Media for Satellite A500 Series" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. did this help? NO. When I try to boot some times it work and most of the time it screams and locks up, this frys the OS and then needs to be repaired. when it does boot if I try to type I get lines of "oooooooooooooooooooooooo" that just won't quit. Does the logic board have a actual reset button?

Help from the Net.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5dEOm1EJBw
    "Toshiba Satellite Recovery to Factory Settings Tutorial" - "Press down on 0 and power on the laptop" The noise starts at about 0.36 Sec in and stops at 0.54 Secs in. This is the same noise I hear all the time now, it won't stop and locks it up or when it does boot I can't do anything.

There are no keys being held down. I unhooked the keyboard and it still makes the "noise". Which is why I've started looking here for answers, my troubleshooting tree ran out of branches so to speak. The laptop keyboard is disabled at start up it would appear, the only way to do anything is after POST/boot with a USB keyboard but again I try to type I get lines of "oooooooooooooooooooooooo". The track pad seems to work fine. It would seem to have something to do with the keyboard.

I tried getting help from Toshiba and Here's what I was told at "http://forums.toshiba.com"

"I'd suggest you have it serviced"
    That noise is made when the computer continually receives keyboard input and it's not ready for it (such as when first booting), or when too many keys are held down at once. Assuming you're not holding down a bunch of keys, it sounds like your laptop may require servicing.

I'm trying to avoid a bill larger then the cost of a new laptop so any help you can provide would be great. Thanks

truenorth

Guru

To test Toshiba's theory attach an external USB keyboard and see if it changes anything. This may be problematic if the fault is now embedded into the start up process of the computer and may not be able to be overrun by the external keyboard. Have you tried using compressed air to blow the dirt out of the interior as something may be interfering with a key on the keyboard? truenorth

Diverjonathan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks for the reply.
        Been There Done That.
        Pulled the Laptop keyboard off and have tried attaching a USB, nothing changes.
        Keyboard is VERY clean since i don't eat or anything around my computers.

Any other suggestions?

What did you mean when you said, "if the fault is now embedded into the start up process"??

Diverjonathan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have posted on a couple of forums to try and find help.

Most think it has something to do with the Keyboard and I sort of agree, But so that you know what else I have tried,

- I tried replacing the Hitachi 500GB HD, did not fix.
          - Removed All external devices including the Keyboard, DVD-RW Drive, Battery, Memory and HD. Did not fix.
          - Checked the fan and it's working as it should.
          - Unplugged the fan. did not fix.
          - Unhooked the internal (laptop) keyboard and used USB keyboard. did not fix.
          - Reinstalled the OS (Win 7) did not fix.

- Have tried booting from a number of other Boot CD's, like UBCD and some other tools that I own. They also did not make any difference.

None of these helped, the condition still remains. I still think that this is a result of something that I did when pushing Key on the Keyboard somehow. There were no signs of any Logic board/Mother board or HD issues prior to this happening, no crashes, lock-ups, Blue screens... nothing.

Anyone know if the logic board has a hard reset button on it?
          If so where is it located?
          Thanks again for the suggestions.

truenorth

Guru

Yes in your last statement you are dealing with the area of my concern when i stated "embedded" in that whatever was done to cause the error is now part of the computer "memory" for want of a better word and is causing it to not be able top move on. If there is some way without a keyboard to be able to "reset" the computer that might get you back. I presume that by either keyboard trying the safe mode key --usually F8 did not produce safe mode access? Kinda reaching now but have you tried removing the battery and also leaving it unplugged from the adapter for a number of hours to see if anything changes?truenorth

Diverjonathan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Need Help - Toshiba Satellite A500-S6014 won't boot makes screaming noise!
              « Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 07:08:47 AM »
              Great input,
              Alas I have done both of these. It would not "Safe Boot" don't know how many times I tried but it just would not do it. was finally able to get it to boot to the point i could run a Mem test, it kept failing on the 2nd test at 99%. by "fail" I mean it would start screaming at that point and lock up so whatever was happening at that point of the test must have kicked it off. I did eventually get it to finish once or twice but that did not make any difference since it does not seem to have anything to do with the physical memory. I just wanted to see it running again and force it to do something.

As far as computer "Troubleshooting" goes when something happens I go through a number of simple steps first.
               Diagnostics,  Diagnostics,  Diagnostics....
              - What did I just do?

Depending on the issue/problem involved I look to certain locations for answers to determine what's wrong and where to start,
              listed below are just basic areas i would look to to determine the cause of an issue and start troubleshooting from there.

- I'm a Tech who believes in ESD damage, I've seen it with other techs so I wear a wrist strap and Foot strap to Prevent ESD Damage when I work on any electronics to remove myself from being part of the problem so I can work on a solution.
              - Remove any and all Extras, unplug everything that is not the basic system. Unless it's a simple issue.
              - Pull the Battery, Power cord and push the power button to drain any power stored in the system.
              - Power Supply Failure, replace with backup if possible, swap out power cord, try different outlets etc...
              - Video Card and Display - Video Performance/Failure, replace with backup if possible,
              - CPU, RAM and Motherboard - Motherboard, CPU and RAM Performance/Failure
              - Hard Drive Performance/Failure, replace with backup if possible,
              - CD and DVD Recording Problems Performance/Failure, replace with backup if possible,
              - Modem  Performance/Failure, replace with backup if possible,
              - Sound and Game Controller Performance - Sound Card Run Diagnostics from boot CD/DVD
              - Network Troubleshooting, replace with backup IDE card if possible,
              - SCSI  Performance/Failure - Yep I still have some very old equipment sitting around. replace 25 to 50 or 50 to 50.
              - Peripheral  Performance/Failure
              - Conflict Resolution, well this is a really BIG can of worms if it's a system issue that's causing the issue.

All in All I use the "KISS" method ("Keep It Simple Stupid") to troubleshoot my issues. I've had to deal with all kinds of problems in the past, I did 15 yrs of IT Tech support for a large Corp. and had 200+ users. I've seen everything from paper clips under mouse pads to a Hersey's Kiss wrappers inside a laptop between the frame and ground that made it turn on and off if you twisted it just a little. So as you can see this one from my own computer has me stumped.
              Please keep the suggestions coming even if I've tried it before it helps me think through the issue.

I'm now going on 4 now so I have exhausted all of my ideas as to what to do. I'll try just about anything at this point.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 07:39:24 AM »
                Given your last post it becomes very apparent that failure to solve your current computer issue is not related to a lack of knowledge and experience on your part. I do note that you have removed and replaced the HDD. Have you tried running the computer with no HDD attached? I do realize that will only allow very limited function but i am pondering if the noise will occur under that condition. There are a few extremely knowledgeable members here on the CH forums (certainly of greater competence than I) and given your last post it would be desirable that they come forth now with their input. truenorth

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »
                2 quick questions...
                Are you saying it even does the same ting with a bootable CD/DVD ? ?

Have you tried it with only 1 stik of RAM after blowing out the slots with canned air ? ?
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Diverjonathan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »
                  Are you saying it even does the same ting with a boot-able CD/DVD ? ?
                  Have you tried it with only 1 stick of RAM after blowing out the slots with canned air ? ?

Yep, I'm saying just that. as a matter of fact I've had a terrible time getting it to boot from a Boot-able! Once it did, it did not always finish a test or 2 before the noise would start again.
                  Yep, No Ram, 1 Ram, 2 Ram and now I feels as though I counting sheep.... And I probably have one of the cleanest laptops around now.  With a fan and without makes no difference. - sometimes a burnt out fan can cause a similar issue.
                  I blew some large dust bunny's out of the fan area when I pulled it apart on Friday.
                  Don't remember what happened when I pulled the HD, I think the noise stopped which is why I replaced it but then it came right back after I got the new one installed and the software loaded.
                  I should have written all of my steps down but this was early on, first one or two days after it happened and that was 4 weeks ago now. I've done so much it's hard to remember it all.

So at this point today.
                  I'm starting to think that I must have had a true brain fart and done something real stupid and pressed some sort of key combo that your not suppose to. i got a lot of responses that it was a keyboard issue. also that that "Noise" was the noise a computer makes when a (any) key is pressed for too long. Well, in this case when I've been able to get it working if I select a file to say, rename all I get is a line of un-ending "Zero's or O's" I think their Zeros. I have also tested this "keyboard noise" theory on 3 other computers, 2 desktop (Win XP Pro, Win 7 Home) and 1 laptop (Macintosh) none of which came even close to the name noise that My laptop is making or the ones in the video's.
                  Help from the Net.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5dEOm1EJBw
                  "Toshiba Satellite Recovery to Factory Settings Tutorial" - "Press down on 0 and power on the laptop" The noise starts at about 0.36 Sec in and stops at 0.54 Secs in. This is the same noise I hear all the time now, it won't stop and locks it up or when it does boot I can't do anything.

So, I have now taken it apart and it just sitting on my Anti-Static mat with all of the pieces in Anti-Static bags. Thought I'd give it some time to "de-juice", But I really wanted to pull the backup battery off the Motherboard and let it de-juice but the little sucker is soldiered on! the tack points are real fine and I am real poor at soldiering so here we all sit while I think about it.
                  any ideas as to how to get the stupid thing off? Below is a JPEG that shows the Battery and location of the 4 soldier points. These are the only thing holding it on, other wise I can just pick it up in the front.
                  The idea was to remove the battery and allow any power to drain out of the Mother Board itself and "hopefully" that might fix this issue. i don't really believe that the board itself is bad just stuck in a loop of some sort.

Anybody else have an idea?? other than replacing the board that is.
                  on that note I have found a couple of them on eBay. Anyone ever delt with "Laptop-Masters"?
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Satellite-A505-Intel-Motherboard-V000198150-/250857956432?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3a684ca450
                  Thanks for the patience and help everybody! it is much appreciated!!

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »
                    Well normally the battery itself is a very inexpensive item. However with your stated attributes re the soldering i like you would not attempt that replacement on my own. So it comes down to taking the computer to an experienced technician that can do that for you or purchasing a replacement MB. Again however while the logic of doing so it is not certain at this point that it will actually solve the problem. It may also be true that replacing the MB will not solve the problem either. I would  weigh relevant comparisons of cost at this stage realizing that either route may not solve the issue and proceed. Personally i would lean toward having someone i trust replace the battery.Removing a laptop MB i suspect has the potential for additional problems beyond the battery replacement.truenorth

Diverjonathan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »
                      Boom, you hit the nail on the head. I would consider myself to be amongst the worlds worst soldiers. I really suck at it no matter how hard I try it just doesn't work for me. I've watched videos, had others show me how-to. just won't work, bag it I'll use hot glue or tape.

I've been struggling with this for almost 4 weeks now. I think it's time to move on.

So my local computer support will charge me $79.00 to Diagnose the issue, Then more to fix. This issue is a strange one and will be fixed with a new Mother board so I figure that's where they go first. They will probably purchase a replacement board from Toshiba for $354.00 ish and then up charge me for putting it in.

Toshiba wants $119 for diagnosis, then $229.00 for "Minor repair" i.e. replacement of touchpad, keyboard, CD/DVD or RAM. $354.00 for "Major repair" i.e. replacement of the LCD or Mother board. Nonrefundable of $30.00 for Shipping fee. (See ToshibaRepairServices.com)

http://www.compuvest.com/Desc.jsp?iid=1693442
                      Toshiba A505 Laptop Motherboard V000198150 - NEW, not used or Refurbished.
                      Origional Price: $147.08, Promotional Price $137.73 you save 5% - I signed up for their Drop Price Alerts and got 5% off.

So,why these guys?  --  Warranty: 180 Days!

Most offer a "warranty" or return of 14 to 30 days, these guys offer 180 Days! you can't beat that. that's enough time to get it in place and make sure it really works.

So, I waiting for a call back from them now. They also have some good deals on memory and a 180 day warranty as well.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »
                        Looks like you are committed to a MB purchase. A suggestion i can give you in that area as you have appropriately considered your choice to include degree of warranty is= i have a master card card that when used on a purchase adds significantly to the warranty period. As an example if i use the card to purchase an item that has a one year warranty the master-card doubles the period to 2 years. It also applies to longer and shorter warranty periods and not only does it cover a product ceasing to function but also includes loss or theft which normal store/mfg warranties do NOT. You needn't carry the item on the card any longer than the actual transaction ie buy it on the card/get the master-card receipt along with the store receipt/immediately pay off the full price of the charge/warranty provisions are now valid. Have used the process a number of times never had a hassle. N.B. the extended portion of the  warranty is with master-card not the store/mfg. I believe Visa has a similar plan. My master=card is not a fee based card . Keep us informed how the MB replacement works out.
                        P.S. I have been losing much sleep  ;) trying to think of a way that you could exhaust all the energy of the battery without removing it. Then when the computer would be reenergized from battery or adapter it should be able to be recharged. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                        • Certifications: List
                        • Computer: Specs
                        • Experience: Expert
                        « Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 01:39:49 PM »
                        Are you sure it's just not the cooling fan bearings?

Diverjonathan

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 07:35:34 AM »
                          Well, it came down to pure econimics. Keep working to try and figure out why or have someone else repair it. Not that I'm doughting another techs abilities because I'm not, it's more of "How much is this going to cost me"?

Toshiba (out of warranty);
                          "Nonrefundable Diagnostic" Fee $119.00 and $30.00 shipping/Handling fee.
                          "Minor Repair" $229.00 This includes replacing the touchpad, keyboard, CD/DVD, or Memory (Ram)
                          "Major Repair" $354.00 This includes repair or replacement of the LCD or Motherboard.
                          for me the total would be $503.00 Plus tax if they charge it.

Local Tech Support;
                          Diagnostic fee of $89.00
                          $354.00 for a Logic Board (motherboard) With issues like this were they are really hard to figure out, "normally" a business won't want to waste a techs time to "figure out" whats really wrong they will just replace the part,it's faster and cheaper in the long run for them and the customer.
                          Plus tax (9%)
                          Total $487.30 (ish)

So in the end I guess it was kinda a no brainer after almost 5 weeks of screwing around with this and adding up the costs and when I hit the battery soldered down issue it became clear that I was not going to fix this myself.

Online;
                          I looked at a lot of ads and web pages, made a lot of calls, asked a lot of anoing questions that sales staff could not answer because they don't know the products they sell or just don't care.
                          Finally I ran into a lady who cared about and knew her products, turns out she was a sales manager. She actuall got up out of her chair and went and checked a box for me.
                          I was able to purchase the excact same board I had! (HannStar J MV-4) All because someone cared enough to check for me she made a sale.
                          Compuvest Corp  (http://www.compuvest.com/)
                          Paid $150.52 including Shipping/Handling comes with a 180 day warranty.
                          The best price I found was eBay $115.00 plus $20 for S&H or $135.00.

All in All and interesting experience that I'd rather not repeat, but I did learn a few things through it.

Thanks for your suggestions and support
                          jonathan.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »
                            Yes very interesting but what will be MORE interesting is does it solve the problem? Please come back and tell us the answer to that one when you finish the replacement.Good luck,truenorth