Editing in Windows media Player 11

Started by Artpayne, November 05, 2012, 07:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artpayne

Can anyone tell me how to edit genres in WMP 11.   When WMP scanned my music files it put many (most !!) into wrong genres.   I know that you can change  the genre of a single file (song) but when there are hundreds it's a long job.   Is it possible to do a batch change?   For instance, can I click on a specific album which is classified, say, "Big Band" and change it and the content of the album to another genre e.g. "Jazz"

Any suggestions very welcome.

Regards

Art

Mushtaq Ahmad

Dear i hope this is only one method from where u want to save your time and add all the music album on your wmp11. once you add the album on wmp11. so all time you direct access this album from my album so not any difficulty on this issue.

Quantos

I'm going to suggest that you ignore the above post...
Evil is an exact science.

BC_Programmer

I note  there was no actual reply that specifically addressed the OPs issue.

MP3Tag can do this quite easily.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Artpayne

Many thanks for all the suggestions; however, they don't really address the problem I have.

Re the comment that MP3Tag will do it.   It certainly will and I use a tagger (MusicBee) that also does this, but it doesn't change the way that WMP displays it's data.   for instance, A Sinatra album listed and displayed under "Male Vocal" in MusicBee is shown under "Oldies" in WMP.   There seems to be no mechanism in WMP to enable the user to decide within which genre he wants a particular album to be classified.

I feel that there has to be a way but nowhere can I find it documented.    I've spent ages on Googlebut so far no joy !!

Regards

Art   

patio

QuoteGooglebut

Unintentional  slip of the Month Finalist...

;D
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Quote from: Artpayne on November 26, 2012, 06:14:33 PM
Many thanks for all the suggestions; however, they don't really address the problem I have.

Re the comment that MP3Tag will do it.   It certainly will and I use a tagger (MusicBee) that also does this, but it doesn't change the way that WMP displays it's data.   for instance, A Sinatra album listed and displayed under "Male Vocal" in MusicBee is shown under "Oldies" in WMP.   There seems to be no mechanism in WMP to enable the user to decide within which genre he wants a particular album to be classified.

I feel that there has to be a way but nowhere can I find it documented.    I've spent ages on Googlebut so far no joy !!

Regards

Art

I'll bet the problem is that Windows Media player is retrieving album data from some sort of online storage. You might also have to "Check for changes"; You can use this by choosing Tools->Apply Media Information Changes (If you have no menu bar, which is the default, you can use Alt-T to access the menu bar, or Control-M to Hide/Show it). From what I can tell it then retrieves information from the files.

Normally, WMP stores the genre, artist, etc data when the media file is added, as part of it's Library. This way it doesn't need to access all the files in your library to get titles, artist names, etc. Of course if they "lose sync" Windows Media Player won't know about it, so you need to force it to refresh.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.