Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Found New Hardware Wizard  (Read 6290 times)

Gatika

Found New Hardware Wizard
« on: October 03, 2005, 06:42:40 PM »
Well, we have an HP psc 1210 all-in-one printer scanner copier. The software for it was downloaded from the hp website and installed, yet the "Found new hardware wizard" pops up every time it's turned on, and insists that:

"There was a problem installing this software.
An error occured during the installation of the device. The system cannot find the file specified.

Click finish to close the wizard."

When closed, the small popup notice appears at the bottom right notification spot, and shortly after, the above error message appears again. It seems to be willing to cycle to infinity.

The printer works fine, printing happily whenever asked to. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software, to no effect. The annoying little message still reappears.

Is there any way to tell the Found new hardware wizard to ignore a particular device?

Oh yes, it's Windows XP Home 2003, Microsoft Office Small Business 2003, Norten Antivirus 2005 on a Dell Dimension 8200.

merlin_2

Re: Found New Hardware Wizard
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 07:11:12 PM »
Unplug scanner/printer and reboot system.........now re-plug the scanner /printer in .........the message should be no more.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 07:11:23 PM by merlin_2 »

Gatika

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 07:23:26 PM »
Tried that already I'm afraid. This stupid little message is very persistant.  :'(

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 07:25:19 PM »
A strange issue... Have you tried contacting HP? How old is this printer? New? Is it compatible?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 10:32:23 PM »
These newer HP's just do that (progress, I think not), especially the all-in-ones. They do have online updating or you can go to the HP site to look for updates. (Gee, this sounds like Windows itself!)  :o :o :o :o

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 05:53:11 AM »
Uninstall the drivers and unplug the Printer.

Before plugging it back in, install the drivers first.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 01:23:59 PM »
I suspect HP's auto update function if it is a newer machine. BTW it uses BackWeb for this function.
I would dis-able the auto update function for the all in one.

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 01:33:28 PM »
    Gatika.......It may well be Backweb........I would find it and remove it ....... also do a search in the registry for backweb and remove it ....... then go directly to your printer site and get any updates directly from there .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Gatika

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 12:34:06 PM »
    The printer is reasonably old (probably about 4-5 years). The software it comes with says version 1, and they don't even provide that download on the hp website, only 2 and above.

I tried installing only our cd copy of the software, and I tried installing only the later version downloaded from the hp site. Neither worked. I also downloaded the software scrubber from hp, scrubbed everything, reinstalled, plugged everything in and....same error message. Tried downloading the updates to no effect as well.  :'(

Guess I'll contact HP.
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 12:45:04 PM by Gatika »

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 03:11:52 PM »
    Disable your virus scanner whilst installing the drivers.

Plug the printer into the USB port but do not turn it on.

Install drivers.

Once installed, restart the computer and turn on the printer.

Make certain no other drivers for printers or scanners are installed at that time. Install the older printers first and then move on to the newer printers/scanners.

Gatika

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 09:36:09 AM »
    Alrighty, I'll give this a try when I get home. We have no other printers installed on the computer, so that's not a problem for sure.

I'll let you know how it goes, Raptor. Thanks!

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 02:48:13 PM »
    No problem. Good luck!

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 04:24:42 PM »
      Be gentle with me, remember I don't have your hardware.  :)
      Did you install all the software. (Printer, Copier, Fax) or only the Printer software?

rocsquirrel

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 01:48:47 PM »
      Not sure if anyone still needs help on this one, but I found the solution posted by another site.  It is quite simple, as I'd been having the same problem on my sisters computer for a few years and tried many possible solutions... this one worked.   

Right click "my computer",  select "properties", "hardware" tab, "device manager", "view", "show hidden devices", "printers"  and the delete all bogus printers you see. 

(mine showed the printer I was using and one that said "unknown printer". 

I deleted that and now the constant "Found new hardware - printer" does not show up anymore.

Hope this helps someone out there.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert