Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't find cd-rom drivers on HDD (nothing but freshly installed dos 6.22 OS)  (Read 5183 times)

jeffk

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    old thinkpad 380xd with nothing but freshly installed dos 6.22 OS - i'm not really very familiar with dos/command line

the cd drive seems to be physically working (at least i can hear it when i insert a disk & have been told it was working) but there don't seem to be any cd-rom drivers installed.
    • mscdex gives "usage: MSCDEX [/E/K/S/V]" [/D:<DRIVER>] ... [/L:<LETTER>] [/M:<BUFFERS>]" ......i'm not too sure what any of that means
    • msd only lists A: & C: (tho after the details on A & C it says "lastdrive=e:" i don't know what that means). There's nothing listed under Drivers that looks like a cd-rom, tho i'm not 100% sure
    • this is the contents of my config.sys

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
    DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
    DOS=HIGH
    COUNRTY=044,,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)
    FILES=30

if there was a cd-rom driver wouldn't there be something like devicehigh=c:\ cdrom\whatever.sys?

so, assuming that i'm right & there aren't any cd-rom drivers installed, how do i find out which one i need?

TIA

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm

autoexec.bat
    LH A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CDROM (this line is used for your CD-ROM drive).

config.sys
    devicehigh=a:\oakcdrom.sys /d:CDROM (this line is used for your CD-ROM drive).

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    This laptop is a 1997 model that uses ATAPI CD-ROM, so you probably need to get DOS driver for that Laptops specific CD-Rom which is the ATAPI DOS Driver. There was one ATAPI CD-ROM driver that worked among a bunch of ATAPI drives. I might be able to dig it up out of one of my 3.5" floppy boxes. Haven't used it in almost 10 years.

Oaks is pretty universal which comes with Bootable Floppies with Windows 95 and 98 with CD-Rom support, but i am trying to think of the other one... might be Mitsumi that worked with a large group of ATAPI CD-ROMs that didnt initialize with Oaks. If you can identify the exact CD-ROM make/model you can probably easily find the ATAPI DOS driver on Driverguide etc.

The ATAPI DOS Drivers work hand in hand with MSCDEX

Just wanted to mention this in case you have an ATAPI drive that doesnt initialize with Oaks Technology Driver.

This laptop was made during a period in which many manufacturers even had special cables for their drives with different pinouts. Some sound cards use to come with CD-Rom support with multiple connections available because the drives did not universalize yet. The other headache was that some laptops supported booting directly from CD-Rom of this period and others required you to install CD-Rom support off a floppy in order to install windows etc. And other laptops had CD-Roms as an external device like my old Pentium II 366Mhz 128MB Ram Toshiba Portege which was ultra slim and I found out did not support bootable CD's off the external drive without a floppy with CD-Rom drivers to install Windows 98. Glad those days are over with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SC_OAK_OTI601_Mozart.jpg Just a link to a desktop computer soundcard with multiple CD-Rom support with different cable connections by manufacturer before universalized.