Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hitachi Hard disk showing 0 mb in bios & Not showing in windows explorer  (Read 8316 times)

nisharhmd7

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hey friends yesterday i got a Hitachi Deskstar Hard disk (160 gb) from a friend.wen i conect it to my Desktop (ASus dg41 chipset m/b. 4GB DDR3 kingston Ram,Intel Dualcore original (3Ghz)Processor.
    And 450watts new smps power supply)IT show zero bytes in bios and not shown in windows explorer,I see it in Device manager,wit zero space.

I reconnect this Hard disk to my friend desktop (Lenova desktop)(Actually he gives me the hard drive to use).In Lenova Desktop it shows the space in windows explorer.And works normally.I try to conect this hdd in several desktop systems bt same result that not showing in win explorer.

Why this is not showing in other desktops(except lenova pc) ?
    Is there any way to get it works on any computers.
    Plz help me

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hitachi Hard disk showing 0 mb in bios & Not showing in windows explorer
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 09:17:47 PM »
    IT show zero bytes in bios and not shown in windows explorer,I see it in Device manager,wit zero space.

The Bios recognizing the drive is the lowest level of recognition. If not recognized at this level its usually a jumper setting, cable issue, or Bios needs to be flashed with a newer version.

Is this hard drive an IDE (PATA) drive or a newer SATA drive for starters?

If it is a IDE (PATA) drive it could be jumper set wrong, (Master(MA), Slave(SL), Cable Select(CS))

If its a SATA drive I'd try a different SATA cable with it to rule that out.

*I wouldnt jump into flashing your Bios with an update unless you find information supporting a known issue with the version you are running and hard drives. A bad flash can kill certain motherboards that dont have Bios protection that can revert back on wrong or failed flashes.

nisharhmd7

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »
      Actually im hardware technician.I hav my own computer hardware service center,since 3 years

Sorry 4 late reply.I shifted my shop. thats y i late.hope u understand.

Well it is sata hdd.I think lenovo is loked the hdd ,to prevent use this hdd to other systems.

As the same way of Locked mobile phones(Prevent use other service provider execpt the loked service provider).Is there any way to unlock this hdd.

Sorry admin dont ban me if i hav made eny mistakes,actually im poor in eng.and also new to forums.plz ......

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:32:12 PM »
      Hi

You are right about some Lenovo models being able to lock the drive. But you normally have to to enter a password before the drive will boot even in the Lenovo if this is the case you need to start the drive into windows and copy what you need off it with the drive in the Lenovo.
      If you try any free unlock programs they normally delete all the data off the drive .
      There a paid services on the net and data recovery companies should be able to unlock the drive but this cost more than a new drive..

Lisa
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan