Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Framerate issue.(games/photoshop) Started suddenly.  (Read 3672 times)

Danparkour

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows Framerate issue.(games/photoshop) Started suddenly.
    « on: November 24, 2012, 01:32:45 PM »
    So about a week or two ago my system ( Windows HP firebird 802 running windows 7 64 bit) was running fine. All of my games ran smoothly frame rate was normal and no troubles whatsoever. But one day seemingly overnight my computer suddenly became agonizingly slow. Normal funcitons worked such as internet and video buffering. Although every single game that I use would run at an extremely low frame rate. To the point that it is basically unplayable. This effected games even as low res as minecraft. To fix this sudden slowness issue I ran a full scan of Norton 360 to check my system and nothing was found. I did a similar full system scan in malwarebytes and found a couple of issues but none of which were alarming and all from recycle bin. After the removal of these two issues adn restart, the system was running just as slowly as before. So i finally decided it would be worth it to try a system restore to see if I could restore some of performance. The list of things in my system restore points consited of about 5 items all of which were updates except for the fartherst one away which was NOV 6. THe rest were on the same day and labeled as a windows update. I am unsure as to exactly what date these were. I chose to restor my system to the november 6 date. Upon doing this my system seemed to be cured. All things were suddenly running fine again. And had no problems whatsoever. But then after about a day, my system shut off and said it was configuring updates... These updates were all configured on NOV 21st and I assume were the ones configured before that caused the issue. RIGHT AFTER they fnished my system was back to square one. Slow and laggy all over again. SO i was fairly certain these updates had everything to do with this slowness. But when I checked system restore to put it back to where it was before the NOV 6 slot was gone and only about 2 or three remained all from NOV 21st the same day, and all labeled as updates. So last night I came on this chat and talked to someone called Bannana something. And he told me i could uninstall the updates until i found the issue. Ive been uninstalling the updates and I removed Microsoft NET framework 4. And havent been able to solve the issue. I took out almost all of the updates installed on the 21st and to no success. And at one point when I removed some of the security and driver updates in the WINDOWS (203) updates catagory. WHen i restarted my system more updates for I dont know what installed. I really have no clue where to turn or what to uninstall. All i know is that i found a solution with system restore and thsi is now not an option. Please help :)

jchunk

Rookie
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Windows Framerate issue.(games/photoshop) Started suddenly.
      « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 03:50:05 AM »
      HEY! Sounds frustrating. I would suggest slugging through all the updates. Updates can be corrupt but there normally hot fixed pretty quick and your issue could be addressed through these updates. I would also set my video card settings to default than run dxdiag.exe. witch you can do from the run menu or what ever it is on your OS. This is a direct X trouble shooter and will hopefully identify any issue with active x or software issue relating to video. Finally i would download sysinternals proccess explorer from sysinternals.com this is a tool which will give you way more imfo than task manager. Any oddities or rouge programs/crashes/ even malware can show up on your process explorer and can give you clues as to what to do next. Hope this helps.
      "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong!"

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Windows Framerate issue.(games/photoshop) Started suddenly.
      « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:34:10 AM »
      But one day seemingly overnight my computer suddenly became agonizingly slow.
      99.9% of the time, this indicates a malware infection.

This effected games even as low res as minecraft.
      Minecraft is not low resolution. It's textures are low resolution, but texture mapping is hardly the most intensive task performed by a Graphics pipeline. Add to this the rather messy coding style of the game (for which there are good reasons to be fair), and the dynamic nature of the game and it can often have issues on machines that have no problem with Skyrim (as an example). Anyway, my point is that not being able to run Minecraft isn't really meaningful over not being able to run most other games :)

To fix this sudden slowness issue I ran a full scan of Norton 360 to check my system and nothing was found.
      While the opinion on this forum about Norton differs, I don't think there is going to be much argument when I say that Norton 360 is not particularly encouraging. I would suggest also trying additional Malware prevention software such as Microsoft Security Essentials. Often other software suites will find things that others miss.

I did a similar full system scan in malwarebytes and found a couple of issues but none of which were alarming and all from recycle bin.
      Malwarebytes is not flawless Either. It's also possibly a software issue, will get to that in a sec.

Reading the rest of your post though, I don't think this is a malware problem any more than you do. One of the Windows Updates that is most commonly the cause of problems is their automatic updating of Driver software. I've lost count of the number of times Windows Update has broken my Audio Card, Display Adapter, or even Motherboard Chipset Drivers in some way.

There is a good side to this: If you can get into Device Manager, you can roll back drivers to previous versions. I'd start with the Graphics Driver, myself.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.