Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE Explorer page opens (takes a while) then cannot open any links on page  (Read 8403 times)

SuzanG

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Internet explorer opens and I type in a website address. 
    It takes forever for the website to open. 
    Then once opened it shows the site but you cannot click on any of the items to navigate anywhere else. 
    I uninstalled the IE updates to earlier versions, did updates to newer versions, ran virus scans.  I am stumped.

Firefox works just great!

I need IE for a number of my business websites in order to run quotes etc.

Thank you.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: IE Explorer page opens (takes a while) then cannot open any links on page
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:40:17 AM »
    Have you tried IE with no Add-ons (Programs - Accessories - System Tools)?

SuzanG

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:43:29 AM »
      All add-on's and toolbars are disabled. 

I also reset everything to what is set up when you first get Internet Explorer-all their settings.  Still not working!

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:02:08 AM »
      Same question - have you tried running IE (No-Add ons) as described above?

SuzanG

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 04:57:55 AM »
        Internet explorer opens and I cannot get any links or even the tools on the toolbar to work, when I try clicking on them.  It totally does not work now.  What should I do?

Firefox works fine.  Thanks

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »
          The possibility does exist that your IE has a malicious infection. To deal with that issue you should proceed to the virus/malware forum on CH and experts there will try to assist you.However not knowing what version of IE is causing the issue if you don't have the most current version applicable to your O/S you could try an update. Conversely if you do have the most current you could try going back to an earlier version. If you want to go back here is a link to a site that offers older versions of a great deal of apps. (including IE).
          http://www.oldversion.com/
          truenorth

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 09:12:19 AM »
          I need IE for a number of my business websites in order to run quotes etc.
          These websites you're referring to are not websites developed by you, they are major websites published by various companies.  Is that right?  How many websites are you talking about?  Can you name some?  I have a hard time believing none of them can be properly viewed with Firefox. 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »
            soybean, "Firefox works just great!" truenorth

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »
            soybean, "Firefox works just great!" truenorth
            But, not for her "business websites". 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
              Well of course the O/P may wish to correct my impression however what i gathered from the post is that for whatever the reason she does NOT wish to use another browser for her "business" accounts  other than IE. So whether they work in Firefox is not relevant in this instance as i believe she feels she MUST use IE. Could be wrong but that is what i get from her post.truenorth
              P.S. Otherwise i would have suggested using Opera but constrained by the desire to use only IE i responded in the manner i did.

SuzanG

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »
                Thank you for your responses.  I did try going back to an earlier version of Explorer and going to the newest and I think you are right-that I may have a virus or malware of some sort in explorer.  I will got to that forum and see if I can get help.  I thought my anti virus and malware programs would get rid of something like that.

To answer your question regarding needing IE for some of my business website-I am an insurance Agent and many of my carriers like Liberty Mutual's site will not show all features and information on other browsers.  I have never heard of Opera but will try that. 

Do you have recommendations regarding this browser?  Thank you again for taking the time.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »
                  Obviously your priority would be to get a browser functioning in the manner that will provide the full data exposure that you need.At the moment you can try other browsers to determine if that can be achieved.However in trying that there is nothing to prevent you posing your issue on the CH malware/virus forum. There are only a limited number of very qualified members that are permitted to assist members with those type of issues there. Whereas on all the other forums any other member regardless of expertise can respond with varying degrees of competency. Be prepared for a lengthy process as they are very thorough over there. Meanwhile you can try Opera.Here is the link
                  http://www.opera.com/download/
                  Let us know how things go,good luck,truenorth

soybean

Genius
                  « Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 10:52:10 AM »
                  Well of course the O/P may wish to correct my impression however what i gathered from the post is that for whatever the reason she does NOT wish to use another browser for her "business" accounts  other than IE. So whether they work in Firefox is not relevant in this instance as i believe she feels she MUST use IE.
                  She said she can't use Firefox for the business sites because those sites won't display correctly in Firefox.  That's the issue, not simply that she "feels she MUST use IE."
                  I have never heard of Opera but will try that.  Do you have recommendations regarding this browser?
                  I use Opera a lot and sign on to my Allstate Insurance account, bank account, etc., with it, but I can't guarantee it will work with the insurance site you mentioned since such browser incompatibility issues do still arise.  However, I do believe the problem of browsers other than IE not working with certain financial websites has diminished as IE has lost the dominance over the web browser arena it once had and, consequently, web developers are more prone to make their sites compatible with other browsers.