Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I updated Java but checking the version on the site doesn't work (FireFox)  (Read 8058 times)

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I just updated Java to Version 7 Update 10 on FireFox 17.0.1

But when I go to the Java website to check the version on my computer... it says...

"Something is wrong. Java is not working."

My FireFox then has this little pop-up at the top that says something about a missing plugin.

I've tried reinstalling it and I even tried uninstalling it and installing Java 7 Update 10 again.

It didn't work and I'm still having the same problem.

Java updated fine and the site check worked fine on my Window 7 laptop.

This issue is occurring on my Windows Vista desktop.

Can someone please help me out here and help me resolve this issue? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

P.S.: I already tried installing this so-called 'missing plugin' when the thing popped up on my FireFox but then it said the plugin failed to install.

:'(

truenorth

Guru

Re: I updated Java but checking the version on the site doesn't work (FireFox)
      « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:14:55 AM »
      I suppose the problem could be either the firefox browser or the Vista O/S. Have you considered using another browser and trying the Java upgrade?That might point to the source of the conflict.truenorth

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:23:29 AM »
        I suppose the problem could be either the firefox browser or the Vista O/S. Have you considered using another browser and trying the Java upgrade?That might point to the source of the conflict.truenorth

No because I like FireFox.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
          OK,truenorth

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:51:01 PM »
            Anyone else?

I don't want to get virus just because Java isn't working with FireFox on my desktop computer.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »
            Anyone else?

I don't want to get virus just because Java isn't working with FireFox on my desktop computer.

Java not working or being disabled decreases any possible attack surface. You are quite a bit safer with Java disabled in your browsers than the other way around.

Is there a specific reason that you want to have Java enabled and working, or is this just a case of thinking it is a good practice to do so? Personally I don't use any sites that use Java, so I typically have it universally disabled in all my browsers, or simply don't install the plugin.

If you want to get Java working in your browser, though, you should try uninstalling all Java items in Add/Remove, then install Java from here. Most web searches for installing Java from what I can tell lead to Java.com, but it wants to install using some weird installer thing and I have no idea what it does or does not contain. What you want is the Runtime environment. If you are running a 64-bit system, you will want to install the 32-bit version first. Firefox doesn't have an official 64-bit version so you need a 32-bit Java installation for it to use it.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

AlwaysScrewed

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »
              Hmm... well...

I haven't had any issues so far since java isn't working with my browser now.

Okay. I'll just live without it until either the next java update or until I come across a situation where I actually need it.

I may either create another new topic or just bump this if this ends up being the case.

Thanks for the help though.

:D

glathem40

Intermediate
              • Bytor_Snowdog
                • Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 10:49:30 AM »
                Java not working or being disabled decreases any possible attack surface. You are quite a bit safer with Java disabled in your browsers than the other way around.
                Thank you BC.  I'm sure this is not news to people in the know, but I've read so many times that you should always keep Java updated and when you update Oracle tells you "(exponential)Billion devices use Java".  One gets the impression that it is necessary to stay connected. 
                If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »
                Thank you BC.  I'm sure this is not news to people in the know, but I've read so many times that you should always keep Java updated and when you update Oracle tells you "(exponential)Billion devices use Java".  One gets the impression that it is necessary to stay connected. 
                I keep the Java plugin disabled unilaterally, and I don't recall any instance where it stopped me from using a website. Java Applets have been mostly replaced by improvements in the rest of the web, such as HTML5, Javascript, and so forth, which can largely replace the functionality of a Java applet.

Of course on the flip side, we do have the Java runtime itself, which is used by some desktop applications outside the browser. I do have that installed; It's just the browser plugins I keep disabled. Not really for security reasons but more because I find it to be a pain in the *censored*- the security improvements are a nice side-effect, though.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

TechnoGeek

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 08:10:30 PM »
                I keep the Java plugin disabled unilaterally, and I don't recall any instance where it stopped me from using a website. Java Applets have been mostly replaced by improvements in the rest of the web, such as HTML5, Javascript, and so forth, which can largely replace the functionality of a Java applet.

Of course on the flip side, we do have the Java runtime itself, which is used by some desktop applications outside the browser. I do have that installed; It's just the browser plugins I keep disabled. Not really for security reasons but more because I find it to be a pain in the *censored*- the security improvements are a nice side-effect, though.

Definite agreement here. I actually keep Java (and also Unity Player) disabled. Java is rarely used on the web anymore, and when I do need it (again, not often) I can just go re-enable it. All the media-related plugins I have enabled are Flash (so ubiquitous it is necessary to keep enabled), Shockwave (for a certain online class I'm taking) and the Chrome PDF viewer.

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »
                I just got the Java update to Version 7 Update 10 after reading this discussion, even though I just installed Version 7 Update 9 two days ago.  But, I thought I'd test this on my laptop running Windows Vista and Firefox 17.0.1 since you have the same OS and version of Firefox. 

Just before updating, I opened Firefox and went to http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp and clicked the button for Verify Java version.  It confirmed I had Java Version 7 Update 9.  To get the update to version 10, I opened the Java control panel from Windows Control Panel and initiated the update.  I then opened Firefox and went to http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp and clicked the button for Verify Java version again to verify.  This time, it simply would not confirm that I had Java installed.  I clicked on Tools (on Firefox menu) and selected Add-ons.  Next, I selected Plugins on the left column since it was not already selected when I opened the Add-ons panel.  I saw that the Java plugin was disabled.  So, apparently, Firefox or Java disabled the plugin during installation of Java Version 7 Update 10.  I enabled the plugin, closed Firefox, reopened it, went again to http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp and clicked the button for Verify Java version.  This time, the verifcation procedure confirmed Java was working in Firefox. 

However, I'm going to disable it since, like other forum members have said, I rarely encounter a website that uses it.  Also, the Firefox panel for plugins shows a warning in small gold text above the Java plugin; it says "Java (TM) Platform SE 7 U5 is know to cause security or reliability issues."  Next to this text is a link title "More information".  It leads to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p134.  That link refers to update versions 6 and below, so I'm not sure why it would be displayed in connection with later update versions.