Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Right Click Menus  (Read 3780 times)

Talorin

Right Click Menus
« on: October 05, 2005, 07:58:24 PM »
I used to have the option to scan files with Nortons Anti-Virus when I right clicked on them.  Recently I had problems with a virus and lots of spyware, and I got rid of it all.  Although, now I do not seem to have the option to scan my files with Nortons by right clicking on it and selecting that option.  I was wonder if there was a way I could get it back without having to uninstall and reinstall Nortons entirely.

On another note, is there a way to add commands or remove options?  Thanks in advance for any help offered.

GX1_Man

Re: Right Click Menus
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 08:32:32 PM »
I'm not convinced your system is fine now. Have you tried all of the Raptor Tips for a clean system? If so, then system restore may be a next step, from safe mode.

As for question # 2 -  no, if I read your question correctly. Could you elaborate?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 08:33:37 PM by GX1_Man »

Talorin

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 08:37:45 PM »
Oh the system is most definately clean.  What I think happened was during the cleaning, I deleted a key I was not supposed to.  Nortons works just fine now, as does everything else.  I also used Hijackthis, and think I might have deleted it via that program, and the backups folder is empty.

What I really need help with is how to add it back.  Because the registry is very big, and something I am not entirely comfortable with yet when it comes to adding entries.  I really would not know how to set the value.

Talorin

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 08:41:47 PM »
I forgot to elaborate on question 2.  Well there is nothing specific at the moment I wish to add, but there seems to be an abundance of garbage on the right click menu I could certainly do without.  Like adding to zip, and rar.  I never use those options.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 08:54:40 PM »
I forgot to elaborate on question 2.  Well there is nothing specific at the moment I wish to add, but there seems to be an abundance of garbage on the right click menu I could certainly do without.  Like adding to zip, and rar.  I never use those options.

These could have been added by another program. A file manager program or some other utility come to mind. Anything like that on there?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 08:55:41 PM »
Oh the system is most definately clean.  What I think happened was during the cleaning, I deleted a key I was not supposed to.  Nortons works just fine now, as does everything else.  I also used Hijackthis, and think I might have deleted it via that program, and the backups folder is empty.

What I really need help with is how to add it back.  Because the registry is very big, and something I am not entirely comfortable with yet when it comes to adding entries.  I really would not know how to set the value.

I would suggest an uninstall and reinstall. Is this a full copy or some kind of timed trial? That would be the only possible snafu. If it is a full copy I would immediately do that.

Talorin

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 09:07:57 PM »
Yeah when you install WinZip or WinRar, they got added.  I don't think there is a way not to have them added during their installations.  I know there are programs out there like Context Edit and similar offerings, but I wanted to basically know if there was an easy way to remove the commands via registry.  I am just not sure where to look.

These could have been added by another program. A file manager program or some other utility come to mind. Anything like that on there?

Talorin

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 09:16:54 PM »
I have the full copy of 2005 Systemworks.  I would prefer not to have to uninstall the entire thing.  What I am trying to learn is how to re-add whatever registry key has been deleted/corrupted.  Just in case I ever do this again, it would be a nice thing to know.  I see this entry in the registry, I assume it or another is the key related to my problem.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Symantec.Norton.Antivirus.IEContextMenu

I would suggest an uninstall and reinstall. Is this a full copy or some kind of timed trial? That would be the only possible snafu. If it is a full copy I would immediately do that.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 09:17:04 PM »
Nope, if you take the programs you get the "consequences". I don't think this is fixable in the way you want. How about the other issue?

Talorin

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 09:28:38 PM »
Well there are some programs out there that help edit the menus but none that I have found would let me re-add the AntiVirus scanning.  So I figured there might be somebody that knows how to add it via the Registry.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 09:29:07 PM by Talorin »

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 09:29:50 PM »
Did you uninstall Norton, reboot and then install again?

Talorin

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 09:36:12 PM »
Not yet.  Looking for another way.  Downloading all them updates at the moment just isn't all that appealing to me right now.  I might do all that before I go to bed as a last resort.

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 09:38:09 PM »
You must be on dialup.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Overnight is good. Get back to us though, OK?

Talorin

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 09:40:22 PM »
Alright, thanks for the tries though.  I will be checking back in case anyone pops on with a way to do it via registry or some other trick.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 01:18:39 AM »
    The Zip menu items can be removed from within the Zip program.