Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cant make my laptop work with a different screen anymore  (Read 2907 times)

emgonz64

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Cant make my laptop work with a different screen anymore
    « on: January 13, 2013, 12:40:15 AM »
    Hello, I have a Sony Vaio SVE15115FXS that I purchased in September of 2012. I had only had the computer for 1 month, I took it to school in a case and when I got there I had a cracked screen. I honestly don't know how it happened, it didn't fall, no one else was in the car, I don't know but none the less, it had a cracked screen. I was not aware that I needed to buy physical damage warranty because a cracked screen isn't covered by the regular warranty. I needed my computer for school so I had hooked up my home computer monitor to my laptop which worked for about another month, then I couldn't get it to go on anymore. I tried and tried but nothing would work. While trying, I noticed that my comuter didn't seem to be making the normal startup sounds. All the lights work, but it just doesn't sound right. You can hardly hear it. Next, I left it alone for a while until I could afford to buy a new screen. I couldn't afford to have Sony fix it for me, even though it was only a month old so I ordered a screen online and changed it myself. I did everything just like the video instructed but it still isn't working. I never made a recovery disk, it was only working for a month. It's a brand new computer but I'm sure fixing the screen myself voided my 1 year warranty with Sony. I just don't know what to do next. I've already spent so much money and made so many mistakes, I just would like to hear some advise from someone who knows what they are talking about. I am running Windows 7. Classes are going to be starting in a couple of weeks and I need help. Anything would be appreciated.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Cant make my laptop work with a different screen anymore
      « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »
      I can appreciate your anxiety and frustration due to what has occurred. Particularly since Vaios are quite expensive relative to other computers. Were i in your shoes i would elevate your warranty application to a considerably higher level.Caveat being if there is a clear pronouncement within the warranty statement that came with the computer that such faults are NOT covered or there is any manifestation on the computer to an external damage event. I will cross my fingers re the next observation as to another possible solution=if by chance you made the original purchase with a credit card some credit cards have an extended warranty provision if a purchase is made with it.The provisions of the credit card warranty as well as extending the warranty period are always more inclusive than that of a vendor or manufacturer and are NOT dependent on the product warranty and in fact cover situations like yours even if the accompanying warranty excludes them or doesn't include them. I hope that was your purchase method.If you still have the damaged screen reinstall it before dealing with the warranty aspect.To me it is not unfathomable that a defect in the manufacture of the laptop could be at the basis of the damaged screen. Given your additional comments re the absence of "normal" startup sounds i suspect there is even more than the screen damage involved here.I wish i could be more helpful but i urge you to try my suggestion.truenorth
      P.S. You also might want to investigate if any personal property damage insurance you have might cover this.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Cant make my laptop work with a different screen anymore
      « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
      First, I would follow TN's advice.  If that goes nowhere, then cut your losses & get a new computer.  You don't need to spend $700, Start shopping & you should have no difficulty in finding one for under $500.  Since the Sony is so new, you can sell it for parts, maybe getting $200.

I like the HP Probooks, because they are a business computer & have an excellent 1 year warranty, HP pays Fedex overnight shipping both ways.