Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Randomly Black Screens with Discrete Video Card, but not Internal  (Read 4919 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    Hey Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've had to ask a question on here, but I've hit a very annoying brick wall and hoping I can get some advice.

Problem
    The basic problem here is that my computer randomly black screens and requires a hard shut down. I can't perform a soft shutdown with any key sequences, if music is playing it stops, it just crashes with a black screen. The most significant thing that I've known for a long time is that this doesn't happen with the internal graphics, only my discrete video card.

I've also discovered this issue occurs much more frequently when I have two monitors plugged in. With two monitors it can happen when the computer is just sitting there. With one monitor I have to do something much more intensive, specifically it's been happening when playing games like Batman Arkham Asylum.

This may all mean it's my video card, but I don't have an extra and I'd prefer not buying a new one without knowing for sure. Also, it shows no other issues. I'm not getting messed up graphics, or anything like that, it's just this shutting down.

Another important fact is this has been very intermittent over the year and a half. Specifically, I move about every four months, and this problem pops up for the first week or so after I move and then I think I've fixed the problem and it doesn't happen until I move again. This time it's worse than it's ever been, though, and I've run out of fixes.

What I've tried
    I've installed the latest video drivers, I've installed the latest motherboard bios. This has never fixed the problem for me.
    I just reinstalled windows, in fact I did it on a completely new ssd, and the issue is still there.
    I booted into safe mode, issue still happens.
    I checked memory timings, these were wrong, but have been fixed, and I still see the problem. Along with this I've tried different memory sticks in different slots, never made a difference.
    I checked for overheating, everything was fine. I even manually set the fan speeds higher, tracked the temperatures, and it failed without anything even being that hot.
    I've checked all the cords, everything's plugged in well, and I even disconnected everything unnecessary. I actually then took everything apart, cleaned it with compressed air, put it all back together.

Hardware
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 rev2.0
    RAM: (currently) 1x4GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996770
    CPU: Intel i3 540
    Video Card:  SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    HDD: Tried 64GB Crucial m4 SSD and 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
    PSU: 550W ATX-S628 Golden Field. +12V 16A and 17A

I think that's everything I can say about it, if you've got any ideas I'd love to hear them.
    If you've got any ways to test my video card beyond putting it in another computer or putting a different video card in mine I'd love to hear that as well.

Thanks!