Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Satellite Laptop DVD Playback Issues  (Read 7647 times)

diane1963

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Toshiba Satellite Laptop DVD Playback Issues
    « on: January 28, 2013, 09:52:35 AM »
    My Toshiba Satellite laptop computer does not play any DVD's. It does not play DVD RW or store bought DVD's. I am in the UK in region 2 and bought the computer at Curry's. Both my husband and I are experiencing the same issues. We put a DVD in and then it spins in the tray and nothing. Below is my computer information:

Toshiba Satellite Laptop PC
    AMD E-350 Processor 1.60GHz
    6.00GB (5.60GB Usable) RAM
    64-bit operating system
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Service Pack 1
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM
    GT30N SATA CdRom Device
    DVD RW DRive (E:)

I access: control panel>hardware and sound>AutoPlay
    I've selected Auto Play for all media and devices.
    For DVD Movies it has a pull down menu to choose what I want the DVD to play on:
    Windows Media Player
    Nero MediaHub10
    Open folders to view files using Windows Explorer
    Take no action
    ?Ask me everytime

I also have a Windows Media Center where DVD's can be played but I have had no luck there either.

I need replies to be in the plainest language possible as I am not experienced in computer jargon. Thank you for any help you can be.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Toshiba Satellite Laptop DVD Playback Issues
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:25:15 PM »
    Welcome to the forum.

From your post it would seem that the Auto Play feature is NOT the main issue. In stead, the Windows Media Player can not play DVDs.

Do you have another computer that can play the DVDs ? Do you have any kind of DVD machines that can verify your DVDs are good?

You might be able to use a Media Player that is more tolerant.  Below is a link to a site that claims to have found alternatives to the WMP (Windows Media Player).

http://www.anewmorning.com/2008/10/25/10-best-alternatives-for-windows-media-player/

The top recommendation is VLC Player and that is what I use on Windows 7 64 bit.

Still, you may have some other issue. Please respond. Somebody here must know the answer.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »
    Sounds to me like the DVD player has gone South...
    Can it read a simple data DVD in Windows Explorer ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

diane1963

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »
      Welcome to the forum.

From your post it would seem that the Auto Play feature is NOT the main issue. In stead, the Windows Media Player can not play DVDs.

Do you have another computer that can play the DVDs ? Do you have any kind of DVD machines that can verify your DVDs are good?

You might be able to use a Media Player that is more tolerant.  Below is a link to a site that claims to have found alternatives to the WMP (Windows Media Player).

http://www.anewmorning.com/2008/10/25/10-best-alternatives-for-windows-media-player/

The top recommendation is VLC Player and that is what I use on Windows 7 64 bit.

Still, you may have some other issue. Please respond. Somebody here must know the answer.

I am very reluctant to download anything because I don't want any malware or viruses to come with it. I also don't have anything but the laptop. CD's play fine but the DVD's do not. I've tried several store bought ones and also ones that were recorded onto DVD RW discs and none of them play. I looked on a site called Codec and I'd have to purchase it and I've not one clue as to how I'd even set it up as I don't begin to know how to use it. I don't want to risk causing a bigger problem trying to solve this one.