Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CMOS checksum error- Defaults loaded on startup, partial keyboard control  (Read 11483 times)

wrad3

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    On startup, my computer gives me the CMOS checksum error- Defaults loaded. I can press f1 to continue and DEL to enter setup, but my keyboard with a ps2 connection has partial control with only the delete, escape, scroll lock, and numblock keys working, at least to my knowledge. I can press delete to get into the bios, but i cannot control anything from there. I have also tried another keyboard with a usb connection and got the same results meaning that the problem does not lie with the keyboard.

To fix the problem, i have replaced the bios battery and also reset the CMOS using the jumpers. This obviously didnt work as i would not be posting this. I know that if i can somehow communicate with the bios, i can set it to stop "halt on error".

I am currently using a p5n- d ASUS motherboard and from what ive read my other specs shouldent be necessary, though if you would like them i will gladly provide them.

Please offer any suggestions before I consider replacing the motherboard.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Stop fooling with the keyboard or you will damage it. The default settings for your motherboard gos for the standard PS/2 keyboard.

Don't use a reset switch, if you system has one. You must power off fully and power on to start the BIOS power on self test.

Make sure you put the battery in the right way. The right battery is a 3 volt battery.

wrad3

Topic Starter

Starter

Whoops, I did not do all the reseting in one sitting. I made sure to turn the power off, unplug the power cord, hold power button, and take measures to not shock my motherboard. After that i reseated the battery, that did not help, so i replaced the battery. After that didnt work, I tried to reset using the jumper cables. Whenever i replaced, reaseated, or even touched my computer i made sure to take the necessary precautions.

The battery was installed right because after consecutive boot ups with the new battery the time did not reset meaning that the the battery is doing its job, at least, I hope.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      OK.
      Now does the BIOS keep the right time? The CMOS battery keeps both settings and the real time clock. If the time is not right, the battery is not working right.

Make some small change to the BIOS settings to see if it keeps your changes. Like maybe change the boot order of hard drive, floppy and CD-ROM. This is just to see if it holds the changes.

Youneed to be sure the replacement battery is good. A small voltmeter will tell.

It is very possible you have some other problem. Maybe a failing power supply.

wrad3

Topic Starter

Starter

I would change the BIOS settings but my keyboard does not let me use any of the arrow keys and ive tested this on other keyboards as well. The time seems to just start ticking once I reset it and does not display the actual time, so that could mean the battery was installed incorrectly. I tried reseatting it again and nothing changed except for another reset on the time.

The battery is an exact copy of the old one, 3v and same size, only made by a different brand.