Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Open Office & Microsoft Office  (Read 3856 times)

02bin3

Open Office & Microsoft Office
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »
On my computer I have Student Home and Office from Microsoft, and a week ago I download Open Office to see what it was all about as I had been recommending it to other people who didn't want to fork over "the big bucks" for Microsoft Office.  The problem I am having is that if I open a .docx file or an .xl file from My Computer, the file will open in Open Office and not in Microsoft.  If I open the files directly from Word or Excel, no problem.  How do I keep Open Office from assuming I want to open a Word or Excel file in Open Office?  Thank you

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Open Office & Microsoft Office
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:21:28 PM »
What you want is called:
change file association in Windows 7
Here is one of many links:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-which-programs-Windows-uses-by-default

The above should be all you need.

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:17:54 PM »
Thank you, Geek After Dark.  You pointed me in the right direction and after a few false starts, I was able to make Word and Excel the default programs.  I would thank you by clicking on the "Thank you" link, however, for whatever reason, that particular feature no longer shows up on my computer. ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 02:29:29 PM »
Well, I can you a than k just for trying.