Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading Dell Vostro 1700 laptop for job opportunity  (Read 4583 times)

msstephster

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Upgrading Dell Vostro 1700 laptop for job opportunity
    « on: February 08, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »
    HI! Please help. I know nothing about computer hardware etc.. just how to use one. I have a Dell 1700 Vostro laptop Windows Vista Ultimate with an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU [email protected] (2CPUs) with 3838MB RAM the company I would like to work with requires a dual core processor with a speed equal to or greater than 1.8GHZ and 2GB of RAM.
    Is is possible to upgrade my laptop to their requirements? Approximately how much would it cost and is it worth it?
    Thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Upgrading Dell Vostro 1700 laptop for job opportunity
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:07:16 PM »
    I'd buy a laptop that meets or exceeds the requirements if it was a job that was a good return on investment. Some laptops can take upgrades, but its best to have a laptop that was designed to run the faster CPU to avoid issues with heat disipation etc. Laptops are cheap these days and you should be able to find a used dual core meeting 1.8Ghz and 2GB RAM for around $200 or less. I'd go with a new laptop myself if it was for mission critical work, nothing would be worse than thinking your all set to go and having a computer get you fired when it cant work properly.

jchunk

Rookie
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Upgrading Dell Vostro 1700 laptop for job opportunity
      « Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:40:14 AM »
      Check any documentation that came with you computer or manufacturers website to see if you can upgrade your cpu. Plus your going to want to know if you need 32bit 0r 64 bit os as not all programs/ features are interoperable. You can uprgrade vista to 7 WITHOUT DESTUCTIVE install from the start menu often times. Of course Dave is right, i would just be hesitant to invest in a new machine before i had a chance to get to know the company/position.
      "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong!"