Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how do I set up for download to desktop?  (Read 5345 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    how do I set up for download to desktop?
    « on: February 28, 2013, 01:26:07 AM »
    Hi, I have my laptop Dell 1454, running Vista home premium SP1 and decided to send downloads to the desktop. So a bit of research, and thought I'd set it up correctly.
    (and it's not too bad actually).
    However now I have a folder on the desktop called "Desktop". Not exactly what I wanted.

I though, (as in the past) the download just goes to the desktop called whatever the download is.. eg. firefox setup. An icon appears on the desktop that says Firefox setup, double click and it will install.

So where it all went wrong was, in the window where you select the folder to send downloads to.

What I have in that menu bar is something like "C:\Users\1440 ImnoGuru\Desktop\Desktop". This string now, will not let me change it? (I can change it to another folder but not change the wording of the string.)

I thought to delete the second "desktop" wording, might resolve the folder "desktop" and just have the downloads go to the desktop.

I hope I have explained myself properly.

So if someone can offer a solution to my problem I would be most grateful.

Thank you ImnoGuru  ;D
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: how do I set up for download to desktop?
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:11:04 AM »
    The way i have mine setup is i created a folder under C: called Downloads and pointed to that in the browser as the DLoad destination...then right clik the DLoads folder and create a shortcut to the Desktop for easy access.
    In your case you already have the folder on the Desktop...simply right clik it and rename it Downloads...or do the method above.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • The wonders of modern technology.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:24:39 AM »
      Yep that cured it thanks patio.

I wanted a folder on the desktop. and it was set for downloads before hand. Just for some reason it wouldnt let me change the location after I had finished with the downloads.  ( must have been solar flares. Coz it all come good now).

I just wanted to copy a few files to a thumb drive to transfer to another computer.. actually MBAM SAS, so on to get rid of any infections in his computer. I also wanted to test out all the ports on his computer to make sure they all functioned. ((so far so good) 2749 threats OMG)

Ok now I can delete the desktop folder then.
      Thanks patio.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:40:21 AM »
      Those pesky solar flares can be a real pain...

Glad you're all fixed up.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "