Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Excel 2007 LOOKUP Alternative  (Read 2819 times)

Tachyglott

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Microsoft Excel 2007 LOOKUP Alternative
    « on: March 01, 2013, 08:26:16 PM »
    Greetings.

I run Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2007.  I don't think further specs will be pertinent to this situation.

I do not know a lot of database or spreadsheet jargon, so I may use confusing words.

I am beginning to think that LOOKUP might not be what I need to do what I am trying to do.  All I want is for it to look at a cell reference, use the word therein to match up to the same word in another list, and then return with the adjacent number in the same row.

I do not explain things well, so I will provide pictures as attachments.  The words were all replaced with random ones for the purpose of these screen shots for privacy reasons.  They may also be blurry because I saved them as jpegs set to high compression to lower their file sizes.

Anyhow, for the purposes of these images, I use the formula:

=LOOKUP(A35,DummyList,Sheet4!B3:B24)

Where A35 is assigned a word from the list on Sheet4 via a drop-down.  The list is called DummyList.  I then intend it to match the word in A35 to the word in the list on Sheet4, and then return the corresponding number.  In this example, I selected the words Salt (in A33, and yes, the upper one is LOOKUP(A33....) and Forget.  Beside them they should return the numbers 1.1 (Salt) and 2.1 (Forget).  Instead I get 6.0 (Salt, and 1.0 (forget).

If I do it the other way, where it looks up the number and then returns the corresponding word, it is usually bang-on.  Here it gets the wrong number, and doesn't give me an error.

Which brings me to the conclusion that LOOKUP is not going to do what I had hoped it would do, and I don't understand all of the functions, even after reading some of the help files.

Can someone further explain the mechanics of LOOKUP and hopefully suggest something that will be more accurate?  I need 'find word, retrieve adjacent cell', not 'find number, retrieve adjacent cell'.

I appreciate anyone who takes their time to read this, and apologize for my round-about way of typing and getting to the point. I've done searches, but could not come up with much help.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]