Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MOBO continuous beep  (Read 3749 times)

glathem40

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Bytor_Snowdog
    • Experience: Familiar
    MOBO continuous beep
    « on: March 03, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »
    Greetings all,
          I have acquired (a friend found it next to a dumpster while taking out his trash) a self built computer case contents include: MSI P6N MOBO,  Geforce 8800GTS graphics card,  Enermax 500watt PSU, Lightscribe DVD RW and 2 OCZ  PC2 ram sticks (no HDD).  The front panel button was not connected to the MOBO.  Upon connecting the switch and turning it on the fans come on but the MOBO emmits a continuous beep.  I have downloaded the manual for the MOBO but Have yet to find any information on what this means.  I assume the owner (who is likely a gammer and more knowledgeable than I) felt it wasn't worth fixing, but I thought it might be a (fun ?) project if it's feasible.  Thx in advance for any feedback.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: MOBO continuous beep
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:35 AM »
    ...(who is likely a gammer and more knowledgeable than I)...
    Most gamers know nothing about hardware; too focused on the games.
    Continuous beep could be anything.  Remove the CMOS battery & short the terminals, if it has any.
    In order to POST, you need 1 RAM stick & keyboard.  Connect monitor to see if anything is there.

MSI P6N is Intel Socket 775, not the latest, but still in use today.  RAM is DDR2 which is getting expensive compared to the newer DDR3.
    This looks like it.

glathem40

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Bytor_Snowdog
      « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:07:38 AM »
      Thx.  Sorry for the delay (working on it when I can).  I had a monitor hooked up - no sigal.  Tried removing the CMOS battery and shorting terminals - no joy.  Found that with the video card removed It is not emitting the continuous beep.  Am working on borrowing a video card I can sub out and have ordered a D-bracket with the diagnostic LED's.  Will post back.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »
      ...have ordered a D-bracket with the diagnostic LED's...
      What is this?
      I assume the CPU has a fan mounted.  Many substitute a high performance fan for the Intel fan & then remove it when they throw the computer out.  It won't POST without the cpu fan connected to the motherboard cpu fan header.

glathem40

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • Bytor_Snowdog
        « Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 01:05:48 AM »
        D-bracket (was $ 7.99 us on E-bay).  and yes, the original intel fan is there and working.

Edit - If you don't mind my asking, how do you post an image so clearly ?

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »
        Insert image.

Type like this without quotes:
        ["img]http://cdn.computerhope.com/toptitle.jpg["/img]

glathem40

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Bytor_Snowdog
          « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:09:45 PM »
          Borrowed a video card - the beeping stopped and was able to access CMOS  setup.  With my limited knowledge, everything looks like it is supposed to.  The processor is an Intel Core (TM) 2 2.4GHz,  It lists the DVD drive on the primary IDE and it is working.  Unless there are some other tests I can run or something to look for, I am going to order a video card and HDD.  I initially planned to purchase a Win7 disc (I have never loaded an OS from scratch - looking forward to the challenge), as I said, my objective is both a learning experience and to have another computer (family of 4 sharing 1 at the moment) for school work, internet usage ect. as inexpensively as possible.   Then I began thinking why not take it a step further and install a  free OS (Ubuntu), I suppose I could always reformat and install windows if it doesn't meet my needs.  Anyway I may be getting way ahead of myself.  Thx in advance for any feedback.