Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer unable to start up  (Read 3980 times)

NNEagle

Topic Starter

Beginner

Computer unable to start up
    « on: March 04, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »
    Hello friends,

Lap top info:Dell
    WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE, SERVICE PACK 1
    PROCESSOR    I7
    RAM    4 GB
    SYS TYPE    64 BIT

I work on a schedule of one month on/off, this time when I came home and turned on the lap top, it took a very long time to load.
    Then I got this message,\.
    Computer was unable to start.
    Option: Start windows normal/repair mode. From repair mode.
    Start up Repair is checking your system for problems
    Then, Start up Repair Fix will automatically fix errors
    Then it prompts for a System Restore
    After several minutes, Message: Unsuccessful, windows will start normal and the lap top comes to normal working.

I hope I have given enough information. This lap top was bought from a Dell outlet, since I misplaced the purchase documents I was not able to ask them to do anything when it crashed about three months ago but had to rely on a computer repair out let who changed the hard drive as it had crashed. Thank you for your time and help which I always got from you kind people with computer problems of the past.
    Eagle

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer unable to start up
    « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:29:45 PM »
      I had a similar issue with my wifes system and am curious as to if you are running Windows 7 SP0 or Windows 7 SP1? My wifes system running Windows 7 SP0 had this same exact issue with every boot the system having to go through a repair process that was unsuccessful and yet would eventually normal boot and run ok. 

I attempted to bring it to SP1 to see if that would correct this and it would not take the Service Pack update. I also ran checkdisk on her system and it came up with 3 files that were messed up somehow and checkdisk fixed the issues. Rebooted her system and problem was still there.

I then scanned her system for malware/rootkits etc and it was clean. To fix her computer I ended up having to make (burn) a Windows 7 System Repair (DVD) Disc off my healthy computer running the same version, but different key, of Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, and repair her Windows 7 off of that by booting off this DVD and running the repair process.

If you have a 2nd computer or a friend with Windows 7 of the same version and a DVD-RW drive, you might be able to burn a Windows 7 Repair Disc DVD and repair your system off of that.

NNEagle

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Computer unable to start up
      « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
      Thanks Dave, I will get someone to burn a repair Disc. I am running Windows 7 SP1.
      Eagle