Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I find a list of sites for the F/F 9 previews on open new tab?  (Read 9730 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Thank you for having a look at my query.

Is it F/F or Google that has the site previews?

When I open a new tab in Firefox, & I'm using F/F 18, I get a 9 window selection and I can pin sites that I use regularly.
    Yes that's very good and a good innovation, however when I pin one, the square/s that are vacant move to the next last site visited and introduces that to a vacant square.

Is there a way I can shortcut, deleting the ones I don't want, to get to one I prefer?
    Where can I find the list of sites visited for each square?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    ImnoGuru.   :)

It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

techsupport

Rookie

• a techie is here
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Can I find a list of sites for the F/F 9 previews on open new tab?
      « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/new-tab-page-show-hide-and-customize-top-sites

This is Firefox guide for customizing new tab page. I hope this will help you.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:45:25 PM »
        Thanks for the reply techsupport.

I did read that page and it covers the basics but what I am asking is, and I hope I can explain it correctly, of the 9 panels in the page, I am happy with locations 1,2, 3, 4,  6,  and 8.

Of the remaining panels 5, 7 and 9, is there a list anywhere, of the sites that will come up, if I am not satisfied with what is selected for that panel or do I just keep deleting the suggestions supplied till I find one I am happy with?

Take panel 9 for example, if I delete the suggested fill-in, can I select a site from somewhere, say from a list available for that panel, to pin it in panel 9 or does the system just randomly come up with suggestions from some mysterious algorithm?
        It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

TechnoGeek

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:17:39 PM »
        You should be able to manually drag pages to the new tab page to automatically pin them. To do this, open the site you want and the new tab page in separate tabs. Go to the page you want, click and hold the favicon (the website icon next to the url). Keep holding and drag the mouse to hover over the 'New Tab' and wait for it to appear (you may have to try a few spots before it switches). Drop the page icon/url on the new tab page where you want it.

I just tested this on Firefox 20 Beta, but I believe that functionality has been around for several versions now.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 05:24:42 AM »
          Thanks TechnoGeek, that sounds like it will work quite nicely.

I'm getting a bit tired of just deleting a group of useless names, in the lists of the empty squares, till I find one that I go to a reasonable amount of times to justify pinning it in the vacant panel.

I'll give that a shot. At least it will have something in the panel that I actually choose, instead of trying to select from what seems to be a never ending list of randoms selections.

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          « Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:49:49 AM »
          Can we be clear about exactly what feature in Firefox you're talking about?  I'm sure it's Speed Dial.  Please take a look at http://speeddial.uworks.net/gallery.html and confirm that.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
            « Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 04:34:48 AM »
            Aha soybean, yep thats it. It is called Speed dial. Thats the one I'm talking about. Thanks.

techsupport had a good link also that helped, thanks to you too  techsupport.

And TechnoGeek had some easy information to drag and drop a link in the panel. Thanks to you as well TechnoGeek.