Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop screen shows splash, then goes grey.  (Read 4842 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Laptop screen shows splash, then goes grey.
    « on: March 15, 2013, 10:06:18 AM »
    http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V3-771G-9809-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B009JXJWZI/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

So, I recently bought that laptop, at most 2 weeks ago. For some strange reason now, when I start it up, it shows the acer splash screen, goes grey, and I cant do anything else. I have no idea what to do. And Im pretty pissed off considering I just bought the thing.
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Laptop screen shows splash, then goes grey.
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:07:33 AM »
    I'd return it under warranty immediately.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:12:56 AM »
      So, the battery light (the symbol of the battery with the z in it) turns orange when the charger plugs in, disappears when its out.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »
      See above...
      Or it shipped with a completely dead battery...you can leave it charge overnight without using it at all...or take the above advice as it should still work on A/C regardlass...

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »
        Alright, so I took out the battery and stuff, turned it on and it did the same thing. Put the battery back in, turned it on and such.

It does the same thing, BUT after a bit of grey screen, it does go to the login screen and can be used. (But I don't like how its grey screen for awhile, it didnt used to do this)

I thought, maybe was my power too low? But as it finally turned on, it had 90% power.

On top of that, I cant connect to my wifi. It says my wifi is off, but when I do my FN + F3 to turn it on, it puts me in airplane mode. I cant get to normal wifi and connect to my wifi, and I have no idea how to fix it.

This thing suddenly just acts as an $950 paperweight for no reason.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »
        Once again...see Post #2.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »
        I agree, send it back or contact Acer, your choice.

Amazon.com Return Policy: You may return any new computer purchased from Amazon.com that is "dead on arrival," arrives in damaged condition, or is still in unopened boxes, for a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Amazon.com reserves the right to test "dead on arrival" returns and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product. Any returned computer that is damaged through customer misuse, is missing parts, or is in unsellable condition due to customer tampering will result in the customer being charged a higher restocking fee based on the condition of the product. Amazon.com will not accept returns of any desktop or notebook computer more than 30 days after you receive the shipment. New, used, and refurbished products purchased from Marketplace vendors are subject to the returns policy of the individual vendor.

Willy:
        This is Windows 8 which has the new Metro Interface.  Don't expect to see the desktop you're used to.  Your Acer is not a touch screen, so good luck with that.
        You should see this:

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »
        Willy:
        This is Windows 8 which has the new Metro Interface.  Don't expect to see the desktop you're used to.  Your Acer is not a touch screen, so good luck with that.
        You should see this:

When I bought an HP laptop in OfficeMax about 5 weeks ago, they only had one laptop with a touch screen, as I recall.  Using Windows 8 without a touch screen is not difficult. 

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:55:15 PM »
          Yeah, Win 8 is pretty much garbage. But I've been managing and I guess its important to learn it for what my fields of study are. I just hate this metro crap, it doesn't feel like a PC but a tablet, imo.

Uh, right, so I reset my bios settings to factory default (Because of a suggestions) and everything works again, strangely, but I think I'll definitely need to look into my warranty situation.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
          I've used Win8 a few times on an HP desktop computer.  Don't like the Metro because the apps go full screen with no menus, difficult to do many ordinary tasks.  If you open the same app from the desktop, it's like it was always.

Win8 was designed for a tablet & Microsoft offers no way to disable it if you don't have a touch screen.  However, the hackers have found a way to disable it.  You need some Win7 files to do it.
          http://www.itworld.com/consumerization-it/327433/disable-windows-8-tiled-start-screen-good