Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse issues  (Read 3708 times)

summerred

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Mouse issues
    « on: April 25, 2013, 03:59:50 PM »
    Hello,
    I'm having trouble with my computer after downloading Drivermax. It updated my mouse USB driver, and things went downhill from there. I removed Drivermax using Revo Uninstaller. I scanned my computer in safe mode with Malwarebytes, and it came back clean. I tried to find my Nexxtech NX2 mouse with 'Add Hardware' but it would only find my PS2 mouse. Only 2 of the 5 USB ports make a noise when I plug in my USB mouse, but the caption says it can't find the hardware. I'm currently using my PS2 mouse. I tried Intel's driver update utility, and it didn't have any updates, nor did microsoft update. I tried the majority of these things in safe mode, including Malwarebytes. In device manager, there is no yellow exclamation point, and the microsoft ps2 mouse is the only one listed. Any help is appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Mouse issues
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:09:53 PM »
    1) NEVER use third party apps for drivers.
    2) Drivers should only be updated if there is a specific need or reason to do so.
    3) Use system restore to go back to a time before you had a problem. Then uninstall drivermax

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 04:14:43 PM »
    Here are some suggestions.
    A. Does your computer BIOS have any option for USB mouse or USB legacy support?
    B. have you tried using your computer without the PS/2 mouse installed? Be careful; the PS/2 mouse can be destroyed if you plug and unplug it with power on.
    C. Have you tried using your USB mouse with one of those little adapters that converts USB two PS/2?

The above suggestions will help you learn if the USB mouse itself has a serious deficiency. When a USB device does not work on any port, it could mean the device has some hardware or electrical deficiency that cannot be corrected by installing new drivers.
    Normally, Windows XP does a good job of finding the right mouse drivers for whatever type of mouse you are using. Spatial driver managers are seldom needed for updating a mouse driver. And personally, I do not recommend third party driver finder software. My own experiences with such programs has not been satisfactory.

summerred

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »
      A. Does your computer BIOS have any option for USB mouse or USB legacy support?
          Do I check this by rebooting and pressing F2?

B. have you tried using your computer without the PS/2 mouse installed? Be careful; the PS/2 mouse can be destroyed if you plug and unplug it with   power on.
           I haven't tried rebooting with only the keyboard plugged in once it fully boots, after being restarted.

C. Have you tried using your USB mouse with one of those little adapters that converts USB two PS/2?
          No I haven't

When a USB device does not work on any port, it could mean the device has some hardware or electrical deficiency that cannot be corrected by installing new drivers.

I'm pretty sure that the ports are cool. It happened as soon as Drivermax finished updating my USB driver, and after rebooting.

summerred

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
        I tried Microsoft fix it for USB, but it showed no problems. I then bought a wireless mouse, which the computer recognizes no problem, but the mouse still won't move. According to the computer, the hardware is found, and supposed to be working????????????

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
        Please provide name of computer. The right USB drivers are on the site of the Motherboard maker.

If you're not sure of the motherboard name, try the free version of EVEREST Home Edition.
        http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

It will probe  system, make no changes, then  show you what hardware you have.
        It is a trusted product.

We, I mean others besides me, suspect the 'driver' service did a bad job on your computer. We believe drivers should only come from the maker of the  Computer whenever possible.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 05:14:13 AM »
        Did you use system restore as I suggested?

summerred

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:53:35 AM »
          I went into safe mode Allan and choose the last configuration that worked option. I'm assuming that this wasn't what you meant. I'll find out how to use system restore.

I downloaded Everest, and it said my motherboard was bx97520j.86a.2674.2007.0315.1546. I found this as well. I'm not sure if it helps.
          http://downloadmirror.intel.com/13538/eng/BX2_2770_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Does anyone recommend reinstalling my USB driver/s? Is it possible that I'm being blocked by one of the 'drivers' or host controllers I downloaded via Drivermax? One of them is something from Texas Instruments. I don't remember ever seeing that, and I know it was one of the downloads that I did.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »
          That is not your MBoard...that is the BIOS revision it uses...what MBoard is listed by Everest ? ?
          If it's not listed try SIW...System Info for Windows...also Free.
          Then we can locate your MBoard chipset drivers and re-install them which i believe will solve the issue.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

summerred

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »
            I downloaded SIW. Below is what came up under motherboard

Intel Corporation
            Model d975xbx2
            Version aad53350-504
            Serial Number bqb245000h3
            North Bridge Intel i975x Revision A0
            South Bridge Intel 82801gb (ich7/r) revision A1
            Intel core tm 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »

summerred

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »
              Wonderful. Thanks for finding that. Do I delete all of the chipset drivers in device manger first. If so, are they located under Universal Serial Bus controllers?

Also, in the link below. Can I download the Marvell Driver and IDT audio driver when I'm done fixing the Chipset driver?

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
              No need to delete the old ones...they willl be over-written...
              Re-boot after the Chipset driver install...then install any additional needed ones.
              USB is included in MBoard chipset...

summerred

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 05:52:16 AM »
                I went ahead and had to reinstall Windows XP. I appreciate the help friends.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 06:00:06 AM »
                You still need to re-install the correct drivers...
                Don't rely on the generic ones included with Windows.