Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP laptop/Windows 7 crashes every time, only starts in safe mode, no sound  (Read 8240 times)

elenay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello,
    First off, thank you very much in advance for reading this and trying to help.

PROBLEM: HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop with a relatively new Windows 7 OS on it crashes every time I try to reboot. The computer only starts in safe mode. Safe mode works normally, except there is no sound.

ABNORMALITY prior to first crash: The computer started producing an annoying beeping sound. I turned the sound off and forgot about it for a bit. After a few hours the first crash occurred. Still no sound on computer.

Thanks bunches again!

Elena

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    That laptop barely...just barely meets the Specs for Win7...unless you have added RAM to it.
    We will need to know what the beeps are as that points to a hardware glitch of some sort...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

elenay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thank you!
      Is there any way to find out at this point what the beeping was? Crash report?
      The OS ran just fine for about 5 months. No extra RAM installed. Also, I did system recovery and it didn't help my problem. Could the sound card be dead?
      Thanks again for your help.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      Do you remember what the beeps were ? ? Was there a sequence such as 2 short 1 long ? ?
      For now go into Device Manager in Control panel...see if there are any Yellow !!'s...
      Report back with your findings.

elenay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I think, the beeps were short and the same length but don't quote me on this. They were sortof in the background and unstoppable. No error message.
        Nothing appears be yellow in Device Manager.
        When I hit the sound icon in the tray, a troubleshooting window pops up saying, 'One or more audio service is not running'. It also shows a link to the registry log.reg file.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        If you still have your HP Driver CD i'd re-install all the drivers and re-boot for starters.
        Laptops can beep for all sorts of reasons so this will narrow it down.

elenay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks, I'll look for it. Would it matter that the original OS was Vista? Will the original drivers still work on the new OS?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          Drivers are specific to the OS...did you re-install them after the Win7 install ?
          Most probably will work temporarily...so it's worth a shot...
          Also see if you can find out how much RAM is installed...open Windows Explorer and clik Help/About...it should say there.

sergbouzko

sounds like a sound driver issue, but, try this,...
            got to event viewever and look for any abnormal events, anything with the red check mark, once found look up on the net the meaning of the error.
            You can also try bsod viewer. Normally there is a mini dump created at the time of the crash, you can use bsod viewer (nirsoft.com) to investigate the issue

try updating / reinstalling video / sound / monitor drivers. Let me know the outcome.

You can also post the content of the event viewer here
            tks

elenay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

thank you very much both! i'll try and let you know the outcome.

sergbouzko

sorry, i should of paid more attention to your earlier post. Sound Icon, No Sound, Crashes = sound driver issue. go to manufactures website (nvidia or amd) and install latest driver from there. let me know

elenay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

A bit of a follow-up.
                  I have 2GB of RAM.
                  The sound device says it's a Realtek. Is it where I should be getting the driver? There is no precise spec for the sound card in Device Manager. Is there a way to find out what it is so that I can identify the driver. Realtek has this: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false and this: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
                  Not even sure which family. :)
                  I do seem to have an Nvidia graphic card. Nothing AMD.
                  Thanks guys!!

elenay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hang on. Found the driver number!

elenay

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Ok, here goes.
                      1) Driver reinstallation doesn't seem to have helped. I tried both the original driver for Vista and one for Win7 (specific to my laptop model and sound card). System said it already had the best driver for this device. Driver installation wizard said the drivers were not supported by the system. I didn't have the nerve to uninstall the sound card prior to reinstallation though. Should I have?
                      2) Here is what else the 'Playing Audio' menu told me: "Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. At least one of these services isn't running."

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      As i stated above with laptops the drivers should always be obtained from the laptop manuf....Desktops are different.

To turn that service on from the Start menu type in services.msc and hit Enter.