Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless connection to a wired network  (Read 3224 times)

wightrob

Wireless connection to a wired network
« on: October 11, 2005, 09:56:53 AM »
I have a home wired network connected to a Lynksys router / ADSL modem.
My wife has a laptop and would prefer to connect to the home network and subsequently, the net with a wireless connection.
Does anyone know of a device which will connect to the network that will enable a wireless connection from a laptop without the need to buy a new wireless router?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Wireless connection to a wired network
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:44:21 AM »
    wightrob....... Will the laptop accept a PCMCIA ethernet adapter ....then just plug into the existing router ?
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1224098&CatId=588

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 11:45:04 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

wrwss

Intermediate
    • PITTSBURGH,PA.
      « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 10:56:38 PM »
      Is your linksys router NOT wireless? If not then you must have one and the laptop must either have built in wireless card or a pcmcia wireless receiver
      WRWSS

wightrob

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 02:44:48 AM »
      Thanks for your reply dl65.  The laptop is a fairly new Sony Viao and has a built in Ethernet adaptor.  We have connected to the home network using a patch cable.  This works fine.  The problem is my wife wants to use the laptop from anywhere in the house without hard wires.  I think that the  laptop has built in wireless connecvtivity.  My idea was to plug a wireless sender/receiver into a network port to eliminate the cable connection to the PC.

wightrob

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 02:52:39 AM »
      Thanks for your reply wrwss.
      The Linksys router is not wireless, it's a wired model(AG041(UK)).   The wired network works fine for the rest of us but my wife just feels too tied down with cables!
      I have explained in my reply to dl65 what I want to do to avoid buying a new router as these things are not cheap on this side of the pond.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 08:29:37 AM »
      if that router does not even send a wireless signal, I can't imagine a cheap way to pick one up.

wrwss

Intermediate
      • PITTSBURGH,PA.
        « Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 10:30:37 AM »
        You will have to purchase a wireless router for the laptop to connect wirelessly to the internet. You will have to put it in place of your current gateway. Check on ebay for a wireless router, you will save alot of money.
        WRWSS