Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Making Images a specific size  (Read 5285 times)

reddevilggg

Topic Starter

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
Making Images a specific size
« on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:19 AM »
I have some images, saved as jpeg, that i need to email to a company. They specifically ask for the images to be 120mm X 120mm.

I have no idea how to do this??

Any help??

Windows 7, Microsoft Expression Web, Visual Studio 2010, Office 2007, Lexmark Printer and Scanner.

Or if i could email them to someone, only 3 images.  ;)   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:41:23 AM by reddevilggg »
11 cheers for binary !

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Re: Making Images a specific size
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
Irfranview...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »
This could probably even be done with Paint, which you already have.  You'd need to convert mm to pixels.  Per http://www.unitconversion.org/typography/millimeters-to-pixels-y-conversion.html, 120 mm = 453.54 pixels.  I'll also mention a photo editor I have installed on Windows 7; PhotoFiltre

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 02:30:22 AM »
This could probably even be done with Paint, which you already have.  You'd need to convert mm to pixels.  Per http://www.unitconversion.org/typography/millimeters-to-pixels-y-conversion.html, 120 mm = 453.54 pixels.[/url]

Out of curiosity, how does that work?  Surely pixels are different sizes on different screens?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:16:21 AM »
Out of curiosity, how does that work?  Surely pixels are different sizes on different screens?
Yes, I believe a pixel varies in size according to screen resolution and size of monitor.  But, I've done a bit to testing and I don't believe setting an image to a truly absolute size, meaning it will appear on all monitors at exactly the same physical dimensions, is possible.  In other words, it makes no difference whether you specify pixels, cm, mm, or whatever, in your photo editing software, the actual size of the image will vary depending on the resolution and size of the monitor it is viewed on. 

Even so, if you create set the image size to 120mm x 120mm in the software you use, the recipients will see this if they open it in software that tells them the size in mm.  Most likely, that's what really matters.  Since Paint does not have an option to select any unit of measure other than pixels, you might want to use a photo editor that lets you select a common unit of measure.  PhotoFiltre offers cm as a choice.  120mm = 12 cm.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
There is literally no way to do this, without more Device information on their targets. You can scale it to another size but it will always depend on the output. For example, if they want an image to be 120mmx120mm, the actual number of pixels depends on the device. Printers will require far more pixels for a given physical size than a monitor, and the actual size of images on a monitor is a function of the resolution and ppi settings of the monitor as well as it's size. if they want it printed on a 600ppi printer, the image iwll need to be 2835 by 2835 pixels; if 300 ppi, half that size; if on a 96ppi monitor, 453 by 453; etc.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

reddevilggg

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 04:51:32 AM »

Thanks for the input. I''ve emailed the company and asked them for more details. Also, found a free image re-sizer called 'Picture Resize'
11 cheers for binary !