Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What does this AMI Bios Beep Code mean?  (Read 8559 times)

Genjin88

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    What does this AMI Bios Beep Code mean?
    « on: May 18, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »
    Hello everyone. I have a problem with my PC where sometimes it powers on but does not boot and nothing shows up on the screen. It's a ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motheroard with AMI 2.10 bios. It's a random error and I will list everything I did so far further below. What I want to know mostly is what my error code means. I installed a speaker to the motherboard and I am getting

8 beeps, then 1 short

I can't find any info about this particular error code. I find 8 beeps but not 8-1 like I have.

Full specs:
    Intel i5-2500k
    Asus P8Z77-V LX Mainboard
    8 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance (it's in the list of qualified RAM list)
    Asus Radeon HD 7880 v2 GPU
    550W Corsair Power Supply

Things I did to try to fix this so far:
    - Updated BIOS to the latest (1801) without problems
    - Bought a new GPU. No difference. Though I'm happy with the new GPU
    - Tried running with just 1 of each RAM stick, no difference
    - Replaced HDD because sometimes when this error occured changing the SATA port order would fix it and make the PC boot again. But it still happens sometimes.
    - Tug / push the components. I've made sure they are properly inserted. I reinserted, too. I believe they are seated well, though sometimes it suddenly boots again after I do the pushing ever so mildly. It might intersect with what I wrote about the SATA port order change, since that involves some pushing too.

PC runs stable once its up, it just has sometimes this issue when it was off for a while like after a night until I do the SATA change or tugging.

I am completely puzzled. I was hoping the error codes will tell me once and for all what the issue is but like I said I cannot find the meaning of "8-1". I only find "8" but not the short extra beep.

I hope someone can help me. Thank you very much in advance!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What does this AMI Bios Beep Code mean?
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »
    Even though Corsair makes good parts, have you swapped out the PSU with another known good PSU?

Reason why i ask is because I had a similar issue about a year ago with my one computer and it was because of the PSU was weak on boot. The weakness was less than 3 seconds, but during boot when the system needs volts backed by amps a lot is happening during that 3 second window. Swaping out the PSU fixed my issue.

What threw me off was looking at my voltages when the system had been on for more than 3 seconds everything read correct. So it was able to carry the load once it got past this 3 second or so period where it was weak to supply the immediate load. *My PSU was not a Corsair though, it was a cheap PSU that came with a low cost case. BUT if it happened to this PSU, it could happen to any brand I suppose.

Genjin88

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »
      No I haven't, but I see where you are coming from with that idea. A friend suggested it might be the powerline in the house because I have a second, older, computer that eventually developed similar symptoms. But wouldn't I have system instabilities then, especially while gaming the latest game releases or doing work (using a lot of power)? It was because of these issues that I assembled the PC listed in the first post. That older PC is different and uses a different CPU (first generation Core2Duo), a 420w Seasonic PSU and a cheap AMD GPU but it also a ASUS Board (P5W DH Deluxe) and until yesterday the same Western Digital HDD brand (I replaced it in this newer PC yesterday). Anyway that system has sometimes the same issue except on it I can get a picture when hooked to a CRT (stuck on the screen that tells you you can press Del to go to bios, but does not react) and no picture on TFT and unlike my newer PC it does not go beep-crazy either, just the regular 1 beep that says everything is fine. The GPU in that one was replaced last month too, to no avail.

I did not want to add confusion but since you brought up power I thought I should mention it. It confuses even myself...

My wallet is a still a little angry with me for the purchases I made, so before I go out and get a different PSU (the one in the old PC is not suitable) I would like to hear more opinions, especially in regards to the Beep code (8-1)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »
      ...PC runs stable once its up, it just has sometimes this issue when it was off for a while like after a night until I do the SATA change or tugging...
      Maybe CMOS battery.

Genjin88

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 05:59:28 AM »
        CMOS sounds possible. I will order one and try replacing it shortly.

Meanwhile, I had a chance to record the booting sounds. This audio file contains my beep code (click me)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 05:37:19 PM »
        No need to order a CMOS battery.  They are available at every drug store & most supermarkets, CR-2032.

Genjin88

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 03:08:59 PM »
          Yes, I know. I should have been more clear. English is not my first language.

I did buy the battery yesterday and replaced it today after encountering my boot error again. Didn't help, still the same old error and beep code and eventually it boots (else I couldn't write you).

By the way I wrote to the ASUS Support yesterday and I'm going to anxiously await their reply. I hope it won't be just a standardized reply.

I continue to be open for more suggestions from you guys, and I'd like to thank you for your efforts so far!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
          8 Beeps in AMI BIOS is a RAM issue...the 1 beep you hear afterwards is the Post normal beep...
          Then it just keeps repeating.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Genjin88

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 06:22:15 AM »
            I now have new RAM on standby - just in case. I might have fixed the problem with the Help of ASUS Support. A few days ago they wrote back and I did everything in that mail and so far I have not encountered my boot issue again. What they wanted me to do:

- Remove any expansion cards you may have (I had an SATA expansion card)
            - In BIOS at "AI Tweaker / AI Overclock Tuner" set value to "XMP" (it was on "Auto" before)
            - Make sure power plug is connected properly with all 8 pins (it was fine)

And like I said I haven't had the issue since 2-3 days. I'm not ruling out a return of the issue because I came to be very untrusting of this computer, but right now it seems it's fine.

If that really did fix it I hope this will be helpful for anyone who stumbles on this thread with a similiar issue. And if it did not fix it, well, I will write again... :)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 07:23:10 AM »
            Sounds like a cold boot issue, where the machine is having trouble recognising the memory on a cold boot.  Setting the memory settings to XMP should help, as would setting the memory manually to the correct speed, timings and voltages.  Updating the BIOS can help too, but I see you've already tried that.
            Hopefully the changes you've made have resolved the issue permanently, if not I have a few other suggestions.