Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Conversion Website or application  (Read 12428 times)

macrip3

Topic Starter

Rookie

• This is me
    Conversion Website or application
    « on: May 22, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
    Hello, I have a bunch of MKV to AVI files that I need converted.  Does anyone know a good website or download that is freeware.  I cannot afford to pay 49.95.

Please reply.,

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Conversion Website or application
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 06:55:44 AM »

aQuilla

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:38:45 PM »
      If you're saying a "bunch" that would mean a lot so a free file converter couldn't really finish this job because my experience with free softwares, they have limits of the number of conversion of the duration of the file that could be converted like they will only convert the 1st 3 minutes of the file. ANyway I still hasn't tried the one suggested above. It might work.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 03:21:30 AM »
      You can safely ignore aQuilla's post above. There are plenty of good, free video trancoder/converter apps available, Pazera (as mentioned by Soybean above) and also Handbrake is very well thought of - http://handbrake.fr/ Another one is WinFF http://winff.org/html_new/

They are all GUI front ends for the open source FFmpeg transcoding engine, which is free under the GPL. Many, many "paid for" video converters on the web are actually doing the same thing, illegally using the free engine in violation of the GPL, making many unaware people pay for something when they could have got a better solution free.