Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System not starting but system fans are working  (Read 13330 times)

sujit1to100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Expert
System not starting but system fans are working
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:18:57 AM »
Hello all of you
I was working on my system (actually playing game of low system requirements). Everything was working fine, suddenly monitor gone black for approx 1/2 second and after that it again came up (was displaying the same scene of game but little bit yellowish) for just 1 second. And my system turned off without any warning and process.

Step 1 : I tried starting it again but system didn't turned on except systems fans and system light (except hard drive's light ). Turned UPS off and again on and tried again, this time system turned on like normal time.  :)  :D Now i started playing mp3 on system, after some time it again turned itself off without and warning and processes. I repeated Step 1 again and same happened this time also. I used above process for some time to start my system.

But after few days this problem started to expand (i needed to turn UPS off/on for 7 - 10 times). And these days this method is also not working (my system is not starting anymore)   :(  >:(

Step 2 : Did following things :
            1. Reassembled all components of my CPU
            2. Changed heat sink paste
            3. CMOS reset
            4. Removed H/W like CD-Drive, PCI cards etc
            5. Exchanged RAM
            6. Checked monitor
            7. Opened SMPS to see any faults in it  :P
But result was same and it didn't changed anything.

When i press power button to turn system on all fans work perfectly, all light goes up (except hard drives). Its not due to CPU temperature cause i use to clean its fans and other components regularly.

I decided to take my CPU to a technician but decided to ask here first. If you have any idea about the solution of my problem, please suggest me.

Thanks for your help.  :'(

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
Re: System not starting but system fans are working
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:41:03 PM »
Please share the list of all hardware in relation to the computer internals that you know of:

Motherboard?
CPU?
RAM?
Power Supply Brand and Wattage Rating?
Video Card make/model#?
what operating system you are using?

*Just a guess, I'd target the Power Supply of the system first thing to swap out with a known good power supply. Prior to the system not booting I would have looked at running a memory test, and then when the memoery test passed I would have then targeted the power supply.

sujit1to100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »
Please share the list of all hardware in relation to the computer internals that you know of:

Motherboard?
CPU?
RAM?
Power Supply Brand and Wattage Rating?
Video Card make/model#?
what operating system you are using?

*Just a guess, I'd target the Power Supply of the system first thing to swap out with a known good power supply. Prior to the system not booting I would have looked at running a memory test, and then when the memoery test passed I would have then targeted the power supply.

Yes i had the same thought, I first tried RAM exchange but didn't changed anything. As i have not any Multimeter so i was not able to test that SMPS wires. All friends with desktop PC have sent their system to their home so i wasn't able to test SMPS (bad luck).

My system's configurations are as follows (old PC) :
Motherboard : RC410-M REV: 1.03
BIOS : AMI 3.1
Graphics : Integrated ATI Radeon 200M (256 MB)
RAM : 1 GB DDR2 800 Mhz (is in good condition, no faults in RAM)

SMPS : HP-D3057F3H
           AC I/P : (47 - 63 Hz)    100 - 127V / 8A
                                               200 - 240V / 4A
           DC O/P : +5V / 25A,  +12V / 19A
                          +3.3V / 18A, -12V /0.8A
                 O/P power : 300 W
           +5V and 3.3V shall not exceed 175W
           +5V and +12V shall not exceed 268W

From my internet's knowledge i am thinking that there could be problem(s) in Motherboard's graphics card due to which it is not displaying anything. But i guess system should boot if it is only problem of graphics.
And 2nd is the problem in SMPS, due to which system's power check is failing causing in boot fail. 

logiccs

• Logic Computing Solutions
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:17:57 AM »
Hi, I noticed you kept refering to a UPS rather than A PSU. Is your system connected to an Uninterrupted  power supply? Or are you just using the wrong terminology?

If it is plugged into a UPS at present, the first thing I would do is rule that out by bypassing the UPS and plugging straight into the mains. If the problem goes away then it could be a problem with the UPS battery or connectivity.

I would always start at the power supply and work on from there.

sujit1to100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »
Hi, I noticed you kept refering to a UPS rather than A PSU. Is your system connected to an Uninterrupted  power supply? Or are you just using the wrong terminology?

If it is plugged into a UPS at present, the first thing I would do is rule that out by bypassing the UPS and plugging straight into the mains. If the problem goes away then it could be a problem with the UPS battery or connectivity.

I would always start at the power supply and work on from there.

Yes, i am using UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply)  as a backup for my desktop's power. Its in totally new condition and had battery change in April. After your suggestion i tried powering system by connecting directly into wall socket, but didn't changed a thing.
Also i tried power supply port/connector change for Hard drive (Default was P4, i tried P5 and P6 also but no change).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »
I would suggest borrowing a known good PSU of the same or higher wattage from a friend overnite and swap it in there to determine if it's the PSU...which it's starting to sound like.
If in fact it is the culprit don't buy a 30 dollar replacement...get a decent unit.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kyle_engineer

Intermediate
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 07:44:47 PM »
I would suggest borrowing a known good PSU of the same or higher wattage from a friend overnite and swap it in there to determine if it's the PSU...which it's starting to sound like.
If in fact it is the culprit don't buy a 30 dollar replacement...get a decent unit.

+1
"Any answer is only as good as it satisfies the question." - Me

0000000100101011000 -
010010010010000001001100010011110100110 001000000010110010100111101010101

sujit1to100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 02:05:04 AM »

As i mentioned earlier, all friends near to me having desktop PC have sent their system to their home (due to exam), so i am unable to swap any PSU from them :( .
But its good suggestion regarding system upgrade. Its been 6.5 years since then i havn't upgraded a single H/W. Now its time to upgarde my system according to modern systems and other demands. (y)

sujit1to100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:05:49 AM »
One of my friend saw my system in earlier stage behaving like as i mentioned (booting and shuting on its own willing). He told me that he had same problem but his system speaker (motherboards speaker) beeps in some sequense when not goin to boot. His system was in warranty and had motherboar replacement.

Could it be same for my case, but my motherboard doesn't beeps like his. I asked a technician about my problem and he replied that it could be problem of SMPS/PSU or Motherboard's or CPU's.

Dumb_Question

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 09:06:40 AM »
    If it is not your PSU;

inspect the capacitors on your m/b: they are cylinders with the axis of the cylinder perpendicular to the m/b.  You should see a flat, silvery metal disc on the top of each (facing you), and at the edge the black sleeving used to cover the walls of the cylinder folded over.  If any of them have bowed surfaces (ie the tops of the cylinders are not flat) or are discoloured, or have white crystals on the surface, then it might be that (that) capacitor is damaged, and this MAY cause the symptoms you seeing (failing to boot but fans spinning, m/b powered). (there is a post which may be found by following http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=132360.new;topicseen#new which contains pictures.)

IF this is the problem, you may replace the m/b, but it is POSSIBLE to replace offending capacitors on m/b - there are videos on YouTube showing someone doing this by hand (looks difficult) and another showing someone [prob. a repair technician in properly established workshop, as you may find at a dealer] using a  special machine (looks quick and easy !)

Hope this is helpful !

Dumb_Question
    8.June.2013
    Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
    Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
    RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700

sujit1to100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    « Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 05:20:39 AM »
    If it is not your PSU;

inspect the capacitors on your m/b: they are cylinders with the axis of the cylinder perpendicular to the m/b.  You should see a flat, silvery metal disc on the top of each (facing you), and at the edge the black sleeving used to cover the walls of the cylinder folded over.  If any of them have bowed surfaces (ie the tops of the cylinders are not flat) or are discoloured, or have white crystals on the surface, then it might be that (that) capacitor is damaged, and this MAY cause the symptoms you seeing (failing to boot but fans spinning, m/b powered). (there is a post which may be found by following http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=132360.new;topicseen#new which contains pictures.)

IF this is the problem, you may replace the m/b, but it is POSSIBLE to replace offending capacitors on m/b - there are videos on YouTube showing someone doing this by hand (looks difficult) and another showing someone [prob. a repair technician in properly established workshop, as you may find at a dealer] using a  special machine (looks quick and easy !)

Hope this is helpful !

Dumb_Question
    8.June.2013
    Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
    Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
    RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700

When i was reassembling my CPU's components at that time i checked my motherboard to analyse any burned mark or smell of burned electronics parts and swallowed/expanded/bend capacitors. But there wasn't any fault, no burned mark and no smell. All capacitors were in good shape from outside and from their top side.

I am guessing that either my PSU or my integrated VGA card is faulty. tomorrow or day after tomorrow i am going to take my system to a technician.

Thanks.