Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building a Gaming PC. I would like some advice.  (Read 4411 times)

xSHAZERx

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Building a Gaming PC. I would like some advice.
    « on: June 02, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »
    Hey there, Im planning on building my own gaming desktop, and I wanted your opinions on what you think of my specs.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Drive Model UH12NS29 - OEM

windows 8 64 bit full

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Building a Gaming PC. I would like some advice.
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »
    That looks really good, just a couple of pointers.

• The 750w PSU is overkill, for that you would be more than fine with 650w (I'd stick with the Corsair HX series though, they are great!) - I run an HX650W on my machine (see specs in my profile on left) and it has been running fine for almost a year!
    • Intel have just released their new 'Haswell' chips so look into replacing the CPU and motherboard with them
    • You have a non-overclockable CPU paired with an overclockable chipset.  While this will work fine, if you plan on overclocking you will need a 'k' series CPU, if you don't plan on overclocking you can happily drop down to a 'H' series Chipset
    • Also, if your budget allows it you may want to consider adding an SSD, while it won't directly relate to performance in games, it will vastly help loading times and make the whole machine feel 'snappier'

xSHAZERx

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »
      Hey there, Im planning on building my own gaming desktop, and I wanted your opinions on what you think of my specs.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

ASUS GTX660-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock

ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Drive Model UH12NS29 - OEM

windows 8 64 bit full

Current setup right now.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
      If you quote your original post people may lose interest rapidly...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

xSHAZERx

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:02:48 PM »
        That may be true, but i don't know how to edit a post, and id rather get info on my current build rather than one that is no longer in use.

blackrainbow

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 01:55:44 AM »
        Thats a good build, there is one thing im not happy with but its just my personal prefeernce, I would not go with windows 8 ill stick with windows 7 ulitamte 64bit , but thats just me, but its a nice build :)

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 03:50:45 AM »
        Intel's Haswell chips are now out so I suggest you move to them (you would also need a different motherboard).  Also, if you are going for a 'Z' chipset, you will need a 'k' CPU in order to get the overclocking ability that the chipset offers, otherwise you may be able to get a cheaper 'H' chipset if you don't plan on overclocking.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 04:20:49 AM »
        Intel's Haswell chips are now out so I suggest you move to them (you would also need a different motherboard).  Also, if you are going for a 'Z' chipset, you will need a 'k' CPU in order to get the overclocking ability that the chipset offers, otherwise you may be able to get a cheaper 'H' chipset if you don't plan on overclocking.

The GTX 660 is also a fairly large step back from the GTX 670 in the original post, and the build is still lacking an SSD :( that makes me sad.

bradchap

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
          I also need a little bit of help building a gaming pc, I'm not super advanced with some of the skills needed to put together a pc but i'm trying to learn all I can.  I found this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf27miJWrKY because people say you can learn to do anything by watching a video on youtube.  I was curious what some of you more advanced people thought of the video and if it's a good source for me to use or not?  Any feedback would be great, thanks!