Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting up Imap server  (Read 5977 times)

jackhandsome

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Setting up Imap server
    « on: June 19, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
    The family business I work for is in need of some sort of email server. We currently forward all business emails from our website to a yahoo account. The reason being is because our website is limited on the amount of emails/storage that they provide us. Yahoo gives us more space and amount of emails. We are currently going through roughly 100 emails per day with most having attachments. We are always having to delete emails to make more room. I do have an FTP and print server that we run that I can slip something like a 4TB drive into and just run email off of. We have 4 computers that all check email. So I was wondering the best way to maybe set up an imap server on the main server computer then check email with the other 4 computers through clients such as thunderbird. I am not familiar with this set up and am wondering if it is the best way to accomplish what I am trying to do. All computers including the main server are running Windows 7 64-bit. Any help would be appreciated. My apologies if this is not the correct section to post this in. Thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Setting up Imap server
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:27:07 PM »
    Not to solicit, but i had a client who had a similar issue and they ended up going with Yahoo Premier Account. This allowed them to not have to have an IMAP server and unlimited space for around $10 a month. The $10 a month was cheaper in the long run than having to maintain an IMAP server for hardware, software, electricity, and employee labor to maintain. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/getwebhostingfiveyear/?p=CABIN50&s_sem=wh_acq_q22013_50off5yr175_20130410

jackhandsome

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:51:33 AM »
      I just wanted to thank you. I called Yahoo and told them the situation and they recommended and separate business email account that is unlimited. It is only $35.00/year. That will solve my problem and I appreciate your response. This is the 4th forum I have posted the same question and you were the only one that responded with a helpful answer. Thank you again.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 07:04:32 PM »
      Glad to be of assistance. Be sure to come back here when you have more questions, lots of good people at ComputerHope! I have been here since 2006 and I find this forum one of the best!

Thanks for sharing the $35 a year deal... Thats even better than the $120 a year the client went with.   ;D

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      « Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:13:20 AM »
      I know this topic is answered, but if people are looking for a DIY solution, I've been very impressed with Synology's NAS boxes recently.  Very cheap, all-things-to-all-men devices.  And you can use them as a mail server in addition to their many other talents.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos