Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! Annoying boot up process after clean installing to New SSD  (Read 5000 times)

Pup848

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Experienced
    Computer Specs: Windows 7 SP1 Professional 64-bit, Gigabyte Intel Z77 GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz, 14GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 570, Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB SSD, Western Digital 1.5 TB WD15EARS HDD, Samsung SH-B123L 12x Blu-ray disc combo drive, and a Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt power supply. I'm using a bootable USB instead of a Windows CD. Havn't installed my Virus software yet.

Hi all,
     I recently switched Windows from my HDD (1.5TB) to my new SSD! I decided to back-up everything to an external hard drive and go ahead with a clean install of Windows 7 Pro (x64) onto the SSD. Well I've done all of that, updated all of my drivers, and transferred all of my files/excetra back to my computer using the SSD as the drive that holds windows/Users/and all of the basics, and my HDD holding everything else. My problem is that upon boot up of my computer, I have to go through an aggravating process to get it to start! When I turn it on, it shows my Motherboard screen for a few seconds (like it should), but then goes to a black screen with a blinking underscore for like 5 minutes before it shows "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert  boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I'll press Enter and then it will load my SSD and windows will start up like normal and all is good with the world. But the whole point of my getting an SSD was to cut my startup time by a lot, not add an annoying 5 minute wait. What do I do to fix this? Thank you in advance! :)

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HELP! Annoying boot up process after clean installing to New SSD
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 07:22:45 PM »
    Try changing the boot order in your BIOS so the SSD is the first disk (With the exception of DVD/USB drives if you want to boot them automatically), this will hopefully solve the problem.  What I presume is happening is that it's seeing a boot sector on your old hard drive and trying to boot that (which it can't) and then giving up.

Pup848

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 07:26:25 PM »
      I've already tried changing the order. The SSD is set to boot first, and I've even tried manually booting it by pressing F12 during the BIOS screen and choosing the SSD. Both with the same result. Even disconnecting everything but the SSD still leads to the same result. It's frustrating :(

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 06:47:10 AM »
      Have you checked if there is a firmware update for the SSD or a BIOS update for your motherboard?  Is the SSD in an Intel SATA port, not an add-on like Marvell or Asmedia?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:33:16 AM »
      Try moving the 1.5TB SATA connector to SATA 3 or higher on the MBoard...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Pup848

Topic Starter

Starter
        « Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 10:06:18 AM »
        Just checked for the firmware, and they have not released any yet for the Corsair Neutron Series SSD. And both my 1.5TB and SSD's Sata connectors are in the Sata 3 slots :/

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »
        I meant the # of the slots...that's what designates which drives try to boot at startup...

Pup848

Topic Starter

Starter
          « Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »
          You sir, are awesome! Where I had them plugged in was in slots 0 and 1, but I guess I had the number assignment backwards and had my SSD plugged in 1 instead of 0, so I switched them around and now its working properly!!! YES!!! Thank you!!! And thank you to everyone else that helped as well! :)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
          Good to hear you are fixed up...Welcome Aboard.