Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help with ntfs file conversion  (Read 4305 times)

jaymus777

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    help with ntfs file conversion
    « on: June 27, 2013, 06:20:17 AM »
    hello i dont even know where to begin i have been fighting with my pc for going on 2 weeks i finnally got xp back on it
    i love xp i never had any problems until recently i was in the middle of playing clancys splinter cell when my system
    crashed after it crashed i could not get it to restart nothing i tried worked the biggest problem is that
    my originl xp pro operating system disk got damaged some how i never knew that a disk could become corrupted wich i
    still dont get makes no sense at all anyway my xp disk would not go into setup it would get as far as
    checking for system files right after the f8 license agreement then it would just stop with a f3 quit setup option
    drive me crazy well the only other os disk i have is win98 so what i eventually got to work was using a xp iso
    with my cd key from with in win98 wich took me 4 days to figure out how to do it i was at my wits end by the time
    i got it to work what i had to end up doing was creating a 2 partitions on my hard drive 1 primary and 1 extended
    logical partition but every time i got win98 on the c: drive i would only have 10gb of space yet d: would have
    all the rest of my 80gb hard drive space so what i ended up doing was installing win98 on the d: drive i put all
    the system files on the second partition so i could have more disk space only the boot files are on the c: drive
    or first partion now my question is is it safe for me to convert from fat32 to ntfs if this is the way my system
    is setup

let me break it down so i am clear
    i have 1 80gb hard drive i put 2 partions on it
    c:= 1st partion
    d:= 2nd partion
    i installed win 98 but not on c:
    i installed win 98 on the d: partiton {second partion}
    i then upgraded to xp
    so now all my xp system files programs everything is on the d: drive
    so can i convert these 2 partitions from fat32 to ntsf safely and not
    screw it all up

here are my system specifications

Motherboard = ASUS a8n-sli deluxe
    CPU= AMD Althon 64 3200+ Socket 939
    Chipset= Nvdia Nforce 4-sli
    Frontside bus= 2000 MT/S 1600 MT/S
    Memory={RAM}= Corsair Platinum series DDR 1024mb  400mhz 3.3.3.8
    Graphics= {PCI-E} Nvidia 7300 se Graphic Card

well that about it so can i or better yet should i convert the file system
    from fat32 to ntfs cause i have no clue what i am doing
    i can say that for sure thats about the only thing i am 100% sure about is
    i dont know what i am doing so i hpope you can please help me
    thank you sincerly in advance i can be reached at ________.com

thank you sincerly jaymus777

EMail addy removed to prevent SPAM
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:39:59 AM by patio »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: help with ntfs file conversion
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:38:20 AM »
    The post is almost impossible to read without punctuation.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »
    ...so can i convert these 2 partitions from fat32 to ntsf safely and not
    screw it all up...
    No.  Win98 does not support (understand) NTFS.  If you convert Win98 partition to NTFS, Win98 won't boot.

jaymus777

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:02:28 PM »
      The post is almost impossible to read without punctuation.
      what are you talking about i am not going to sit and type every period comma and question mark its a generalization
      of a situation i mean come on the question is pretty straight forward i am not trying to get into a debate or offend anyone
      in any way i appoligize in advance but not everyone has had the luxury of having a education i had to quit school at 14yrs old
      to go to work and support my family my father was very ill but thats a whole different issue any way i just need a little help k
      please try to bare with me i am not good with computers i am doing the best i can thanks sincerly jaymus777

jaymus777

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »
        and i forgot to say that i am trying to find out if i can safely convert xp to ntfs not win98 i started out with 98 if you read a little closer
        i upgraded to xp allready but it is still in fat32 format again i appoligise for the run on sentences i will try to do better in the futeure
        to split it up a little better as i said i am working with a 6th grade education here i live in upper michigan where hillbilly is a way of life!!

lol lol sorry but its true but even so i am proud to be a ALL AMERICAN BLUE BLOODED NORTHERN REDNECK HICK !!!!!!

go yoopers !!!  any way i will try to do better in the future and i do appreciate and respect anyone that try;s to help other
        people it is a very selfless act and does not happen near enough so thank you to all sincerly jaymus777

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »
        let me break it down so i am clear
        i have 1 80gb hard drive i put 2 partions on it
        c:= 1st partion
        d:= 2nd partion
        i installed win 98 but not on c:
        i installed win 98 on the d: partiton {second partion}
        i then upgraded to xp
        so now all my xp system files programs everything is on the d: drive
        so can i convert these 2 partitions from fat32 to ntsf safely and not
        screw it all up
        well that about it so can i or better yet should i convert the file system
        from fat32 to ntfs cause i have no clue what i am doing
        You don't have to convert WinXP from FAT32 to NTFS.  You can do it if you want to.  If you really don't know what you're doing, why not just leave all as is?
        After reading this several times, it appears you still have Win98 on 1st partition & WinXP on 2nd partition, but you only use WinXP & you want to delete the 1st partition.  The boot info for WinXP is still on 1st partition, so this is not a simple matter.  Why didn't you just upgrade Win98 on "C"?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »
        i love xp i never had any problems until recently i was in the middle of playing clancys splinter cell when my system
        crashed after it crashed
        i don't suppose you have any information on the crash

my originl xp pro operating system disk got damaged some how i never knew that a disk could become corrupted wich i
        still dont get makes no sense at all anyway my xp disk would not go into setup it would get as far as
        checking for system files right after the f8 license agreement then it would just stop with a f3 quit setup option
        i imagine it also provided an error message anyway it's too late to get that now i guess but anyway discs cant get corrupted but if they are damaged then the setup wont be able to read the disc and anyway that will cause problems.

but every time i got win98 on the c: drive i would only have 10gb of space yet d: would have
        all the rest of my 80gb hard drive space so what i ended up doing was installing win98 on the d: drive i put all
        the system files on the second partition so i could have more disk space only the boot files are on the c: drive
        or first partion now my question is is it safe for me to convert from fat32 to ntfs if this is the way my system
        is setup
        sounds like some of this could be a problem related to a bug in windows 98s fdisk utility which can't see larger hard drives i forget the specific issue or how it manifests itself but anyway thats one of the things that could lead to this issue but anyway you sorta solved that so it's probably not a concern

With regards to FAT32-NTFS conversion, Computer Commando speaks the truth. From the sounds of it you have Windows XP on the second partition, and the boot files on the first partition; both of them will have been upgraded through the XP installation process. So you could convert the file system to NTFS, though there isn't really any reason for you to do so.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.