Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: updating my graphics card driver  (Read 6758 times)

remcdonough

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    updating my graphics card driver
    « on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »
    I recently bought the new Company of Heros 2 and it suggested to ensure my drivers were up to date so I click the recommended link for my card (ATI mobility radeon HD 4650) and installed the catalyst control center which got me the correct driver and installed it. I went to play the game and it still crashes and all sorts of crazy things happen with in the first few minutes of me playing the game. So my question is, is it possibal that I might need to uninstall the old driver or am I just missing something completely. Thanks for the read. =]

Also my computer specs are 10GB of ram Intel core 2 duo @2GHz and as stated before my card is ATI mobility radeon HD 4650.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: updating my graphics card driver
    « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
    I'd make sure that DirectX is the latest. I have run into issues with older DirectX. You can run DXDiag from Start Run to check out the version and all other info.

AS seen here, CoH2 requires  DirectX 10 or newer http://en.checkreq.com/company-of-heroes-2

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

remcdonough

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »
      I'm on Ver.11 as well. Still no luck.  :-\

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »
      Have you run Memtest86 on your system. I see you have 10GB RAM. And ATI "mobility" signifies a Laptop. I would also run a stress test benchmark on the video card to make sure its healthy and not overheating or damaged etc.

I am actually surprised you have 10GB RAM as for I thought all boards that supported Core 2 Duo including laptops maxed out at 8GB. What is the Laptop Make/Model?

remcdonough

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »
        I could be wrong on that 10Gb :P

And now after looking I do have 8Gb.

I will run that program though.

Another thing I noticed was that right after the game crashes Steam (the program) starts to download a patch. Could it have something to do with that?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »
        Another thing I noticed was that right after the game crashes Steam (the program) starts to download a patch. Could it have something to do with that?

Yes this could be the cause! ...  You can always uninstall Steam and download and install a fresh copy to make sure its clean without problems and see if this fixes it. I have had steam get corrupt before, and currently I think I need to uninstall it and install it fresh on my older gaming system because when I tell Windows 7 to shutdown it hangs at waiting for Steam service to shutdown for longer than it should and then eventually shuts down. This computer hasnt been rebuilt since 2010 and so its a mess of games installed many of which i dont play anymore or much etc, and I just have been too lazy to wipe it clean and rebuild fresh again.

remcdonough

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 05:02:23 PM »
          Actually found out that Relic (the company that made the game) doesn't support the ATI 4XXX series video cards and did not release that. Relic told ATI to make a driver that was program but its only in beta.

So my question is what is the procedure from manually installing a new graphics ard driver? just uninstall and install the new one?