Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with CPU fan and also windows not loading.  (Read 3514 times)

Steven5210

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Problems with CPU fan and also windows not loading.
    « on: July 12, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »
    I just upgraded my computer with a asus z87-k, 4770k, gtx 770, 16gb DDR crucial ram, and an asetek LCLC liquid cooling. At first everytime my computer was booting it would get to the windows loading bar and from there it would say "windows has failed to load." I would have the option to repair and that ends up with nothing as it says it can't be fixed. I tried doing a system restore and right after it says "finalizing restore," it gives me an error saying that it failed. This is weird because right before I installed my new parts my hard drive was working just fine and it even installed a bunch of windows updates. Would it be possible that my hard drive is incompatible with the new motherboard? But it should be fine since it's a sata3.

Another issue is that with the asetek liquid cooling plugged into the CPU FAN in the motherboard everytime it boots it says "CPU FAN ERROR press F1." It wouldn't be a problem but under monitor the CPU temperature is actually increasing. I've tried plugging it into the CHA FAN and it still gives me an error but I am able to boot if I go into the bios menu. The fan actually shows the rpm and also the CPU is at the right temperature. It was working before until I replugged in some things to see if my windows would boot correctly. So is it possible my motherboard is defective?

Thanks!!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Problems with CPU fan and also windows not loading.
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »
    1. the most likely cause is that your system was installed with the SATA controller in IDE mode, and the new board has defaulted to AHCI.  Change it to IDE and see what happens, that should resolve your issue.  Make sure your HDD is on an Intel port, too, not an add-on like Marvell or Asmedia.

2. I find with those LCLC setups it's best to use a Molex to fan adapter for the pump, to make sure the pump gets the voltage it needs and the board doesn't try and slow it down by regulating the voltage - this makes the pump not work properly and can actually damage the pump too.  Try that if possible, and plug the fan in anywhere you please, and let us know what your temperatures are like.  Do you hear the pump start up and vibrate as normal?

Steven5210

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
      Thanks for the response! I switched it back to IDE and I also tried it on another system. It gets to the window 7 screen where it's loading and it gives me an instant BSOD that flashes for less than a second and then restarts. After that it gives me the option to repair or launch windows normally. Did I break it by plugging it in when it was set to ahci? It was working fine before the new MB.

The liquid cooling only came with one 3 pin plug and according to the manual it says that goes in the CPU FAN. It's kinda weird that it was working before and now it just stopped.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »
      Thanks for the response! I switched it back to IDE and I also tried it on another system. It gets to the window 7 screen where it's loading and it gives me an instant BSOD that flashes for less than a second and then restarts. After that it gives me the option to repair or launch windows normally. Did I break it by plugging it in when it was set to ahci? It was working fine before the new MB.

In that case it's possible that Windows 7 simply doesn't like your new hardware, as it's already got all the drivers etc set up for your old setup.  What were your specs before this upgrade?

The liquid cooling only came with one 3 pin plug and according to the manual it says that goes in the CPU FAN. It's kinda weird that it was working before and now it just stopped.

OK, I'm just saying I've had more success using an adapter to plug the pump into the power supply instead.  What rpm is it showing as in the BIOS?

Steven5210

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »
        I was on an intel duo 2 core so a pretty older setup. That definitely sounds like a very likely cause. I plugged the hard drive into my brothers computer which is an i5 ivy bridge setup and it still didnt boot from there. Is there a fix? Because I have pretty much everything on that drive.  :'(

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »
        That'll be it then, Windows doesn't like your new setup so you'll need a clean install.
        If you install Windows over the top of your current installation, it'll handily move your old install into a folder called windows.old - so you'll still need to reinstall your programs and change any settings as required, but you won't lose any data.

Steven5210

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »
          Thanks! For your help. I read that it's also possible to try to do a windows repair so I'm going to give that a try first.