Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: harddrive not being detected  (Read 13631 times)

marybeth

harddrive not being detected
« on: July 18, 2004, 09:36:26 AM »
ok heres my new problem,I had to format computer and reinstall windows, everything was going good except the puter would not detect mouse, so opened puer and checked to make sure there was a good connection and attempted to start computer again,but i accidently pushed f8. then the computer said something like fdd not conf. or something like that then it said put in bootdisk and press any button to continue, well it would read it so i shut down the computer and put in back on and now i just have a black screen. can anyone help. thanks in advance    marybeth

Raptor

Re: harddrive not being detected
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 09:50:38 AM »
Why did you open your computer case to see if your mouse is properly connected? That does not make sense.

Can you boot and press F8 again to see what the computer says?

marybeth

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 02:05:22 PM »
opened case on computer cause the connection in back seemed kind of loose so i thought i would look at it to see if connection was ok. stupid me couldnt leave well enought alone.
I tried starting computer again and pushing f8 again but nothing. its still black. does that mean my harddrive is shot? ??? any help is greatly appreciated
                  marybeth

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 03:02:55 PM »
What did you touch inside the computer case?

I suggest you check the cables.

If that is done, and everything turns out alright, you could perhaps try to reset your BIOS.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 03:03:39 PM by Raptor »

Noblecon

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 05:02:54 PM »
check the jumper settings on the hard drive

marybeth

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 07:25:50 AM »
i didnt touch anything in computer except where mouse plugs into back to see if loose connection, all cables seem to be fine, can you tell me how to reset bios, and how to check jummper starter on dard drive. thanks again.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 09:42:19 AM »
If you did not touch the hard drive, and you have not installed new ones there is no need to see if the jumper is still in the correct position.

Loading Failsafe or standard defaults is what you can try without opening your case. Press delete at startup to enter the BIOS.

If this does not work, you can reset your BIOS by forcing it. (Be sure to degmagnetize your hands first and ALWAYS turn the power off)

However, unless someone else has a better suggestion I suggest you keep with loading failsafe and/or standard defaults.

Open the case take out the CMOS battery for 10 seconds and then place it back in. However, most mainboards also have a jumper that you can short circuit. I suggest you search the computer database before proceeding.

Here are some articles that you should considering reading before you take actions that are BIOS/CMOS related.

http://www.computerhope.com/help/cmos.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/help/bios.htm

marybeth

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 11:24:51 AM »
i tried to delete at begining but no luck and also after i left the blank screen on for about 2 or 3 minutes i get 2 very quick beeps and a very short pause then 2 more quick beats. all this takes place in less than 5 seconds. could this be a clue. i was reading other post and went to site about beeps but it doesnt have my symptoms or and remedy on it. i am now afraid to do anything like taking off the back to unplug cmos battery as i havent a clue what or where to find them.  thanks again
marybeth

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 07:24:18 AM »
When you power on your computer, immediatly press the DELete button. Keep it pressed and you should eventually enter the BIOS (A blue screen)

marybeth

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 07:36:22 AM »
tried delete when powered up for long time but it still does nothing, but did realize there is 2very quick beeps a very short pause then 2 very quick beeps again. then nothing. i read about the beeps in other forums but nothing seems to tell me about these.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 08:21:49 AM »
You may want to try as I suggested. If you cannot even enter the BIOS, something is definitely wrong.

Either shortcircuit the jumper near the CMOS battery (I have never tried this, my mainboard does not have a jumper)

Or lift up (or remove) the CMOS battery for 10 seconds.

Articles that may be of use:

Definition of CMOS

How to replace the CMOS battery

I strongly suggest you first refer to this article: Perhaps it is not the delete button you have to press

How to enter the BIOS or CMOS setup
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 08:24:50 AM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 04:19:10 PM »
no mouse no hard drive no keyboard? is your graphics card seated properly?or is it faulty?what make is this pc?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 04:21:52 PM by merlin_2 »

marybeth

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 05:08:37 PM »
well i did have all these things but the mouse and it was working fine but no not anymore. the lights on keyboard and computer and monitor still light up just no visuals. i did and will again read and try what was in raptors suggestion, i guess i cant make things any worse. maybe a swift kick in the back would help. its a old computer one of the first ones i ever had, been handed down from kid to kid, i think its called colorado, well thanks for advice all, i really do apreciate it!
             marybeth

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 05:11:57 PM »
Donot become careless. You *can* make matters worse if you damage your mainboard.

marybeth

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2004, 10:01:16 AM »
ok thank you all i have gotton the computer working and showing the screen now but i think from all those pressing buttons when it wasnt working may have caused another problem. here goes when i turn on computer it starts booting upbut on first page of boot(I guess thats how id say that) it says invalid config. slot 3. is that my mouse slot?. then it says fdd control failure,(im assuming that is floppy disc drive). and then it goes to next page and that saysdrive not ready error insert boot diskette in A: then press any button to continue. i tried but its not reading the bootdisc. im assuming that is because of fdd control failure, so do you know what i would do next.  many many thanks. im glad i did not hastingly drop kick the computer. lol