Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Q8400 Bottleneck GTX 660  (Read 4944 times)

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Q8400 Bottleneck GTX 660
    « on: August 04, 2013, 05:25:34 AM »

Hello guys ,

My system specs :-

Core 2 Quad Q8400 @2.66GHZ
    Trancend 2 GB RAM
    Gigabyte G41 Mobo
    Asus Direct Cu II GTX 660 OC Edition
    500GB Seagate HDD
    LG Cinema D2342 23" 3D Monitor

I recently upgraded from 9400gt to gtx 660...so the jump is TOO *censored* HIGH

I saw all the videos & even posted on this forum to get suggestion for 660

First game :- The witcher 2

I should be able to max out The witcher 2 with ubersampling off...but i am getting pretty laggy & low frame rates...so i turned down the shadows & still the same & even played with v sync On & off

GTA 4

Ok this game is a bad port & buggy as *censored* in terms of graphics & i've heard that it uses more CPU power than the GPU ...I get max 13 FPS & minimum 8 FPS

So a gtx 660 should be able to max out above games..i know the titles mentioned are graphic intensive games...i dont wish ultra settings on 660 but still at least playable framerates...

I wud have posted videos but with fraps these games become literally unplayable

Is this because of my Q8400...i searched the web & 60% of so called research says YES.. what do you guys think
    Some people like my advice so much that they frame it on wall instead of using it !

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Q8400 Bottleneck GTX 660
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 05:21:48 PM »
    Is this because of my Q8400...i searched the web & 60% of so called research says YES.. what do you guys think

I have a [email protected] and a 9800GT and I get 60fps in GTAIV.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 02:30:55 AM »
    If you turn down the resolution, what happens to your frame rates?

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:25:48 AM »
      I turned down the reso to 1600X900 but still getting only 15-20 fps & some of the details to low
      Some people like my advice so much that they frame it on wall instead of using it !

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 05:05:46 AM »
      Turn the resolution way down, say to 1024x768, and see if it improves, that's the easiest way to check if you're CPU or GPU limited.

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »
        Done but hardly 2-5 fps increase

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »
        I have played Witcher 2 on an Athlon II x4 620 2.6 Ghz with 3GB DDR2 800Mhz Corsair XMS2 ( 4GB limited to 3GB due to Windows 7 32-bit ) with 500GB SATA II drive and  ASUS ATI Radeon HD5450 video card with 512MB on 19" samsung flat screen with 1024x768 and I get between 20 and 30fps and details set to normal.

*The frame rate for me changed depending on how much rendering was going on, such as if a lot of action is happening it slowed to around 20fps but if not much was happening it was like 30fps. * Its been a while since I have invested any money into a powerful video card mainly because I was getting upset with GPU cooling fan failures with the GeForce cards like the GeForce 8800GT from BFG. The fan stopped and the GPU melted down  :'( and that card cost a pretty penny when I bought it new. I have since just bought $40 or cheaper video cards and currently use passive heatsink cards which I mount a 80mm fan towards them to keep them cool, and the games I run run fine on them including GTA IV and Driver - San Francisco. Driver - San Francisco actually causes my CPU fan to increase in speed to max when playing it and running from cops, so its CPU intensive. Witcher 2 and GTA IV dont cause the CPU fan to max out on speed.

The only thing I see is that your running on 2GB RAM, and I'd add more if the motherboard supports it, especially if your running a newer OS than Windows XP.

I have also seen degraded performance with single-channel memory config such as a single 2GB stick running worse than 2 x 1GB sticks in Dual-channel config.

Is your 2 GB RAM a single stick or a pair of 1GB sticks or a mix of 1GB stick + 2 x 512MB sticks as 3 sticks in 3 of 4 memory slots?