Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tera Rising - question about character skins & text size  (Read 9897 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Tera Rising - question about character skins & text size
« on: August 07, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »
So I downloaded the 25GB of Tera Rising and I have to say its a great game, however I noticed that the load time of the game seemed to take a while and was HDD intensive.

So I moved it to my SSD which is SATA II and this helped greatly with load time.

Now though I am trying to figure out how to fix what is more of an eye sore than an annoyance in the game. When I run up to NPC's and other players are around occasionally they are all grey outlines and they havent populated with their skins/textures etc, but if you wait about 3 to 5 seconds the skins, gear, etc finally instantly fill the grey silhouette.

I have tried to increase the graphics settings as well as decrease the graphics settings, as well as verified that I have the latest driver for my video card and it still occasionally happens, especially if entering new areas more so than already visited areas, so I was wondering if anyone else who plays this game has seen this and fixed it or just play the game and deal with the occasional silhouettes until the textures and skins are populated 3 to 5 seconds later?

Lastly there does not appear to be a setting to increase the font size of the text for the controls in the game, so I have to squint to read stuff in a font size that is like a size of Font 6, when using settings of 1024x768 which is the lowest resolution available and 4:3 for square 19" flatscreen. Attached is an example of the text size, I can include screenshots from the game as well to show how bad it is. But does anyone know how to increase the text size in the game?  I strained my eyes looking for a option but didnt find one. The interesting thing is that when NPC's issue quests and speak in bubble above their heads the text size is not an eye strain and is like Font 10 or 12.

While I do use reading glasses of 1.75 to avoid squinting when reading books with small print, in all other games I play glasses are not required and I am hoping I am not going to have to play the game with them resting on my nose to tilt my head back and look at small text and then tip my head forward to play without looking through them.

*Maybe this game was not really intended for older square 19" flat screens with 4:3 and 1024x768, but if they make it an option, they should make the text able to be read easily. I do have a 24" widescreen that I bought a few years back as an upgrade to the 19", but found it way too large and didnt like having to turn my head to see stuff, when on the 19" my eyes can quicklypick up on targets without having to physically move.  ::) My desk is not a deep desk so the display is like 24" away from my face. The 24" widescreen I mounted on the wall and use that to watch netflix and hulu through PC with wireless keyboard and mouse from bed.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Mayuukosan

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Tera Rising - question about character skins & text size
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »
I play Tera too! I love it.

As for the text size, there is an option called UI Scale. Have you tried changing this? If I recall correctly, it is a slider in the Graphics options menu. It changes the size of all the UI and text on screen.

As for the textures/loading, that is an error I find in a lot of MMOs. I find things load better if I am in a less crowded channel - In Tera, any channel that says Low besides it will be fine. It simply can't load all the textures at once if the channel is crowded (is my theory).

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Tera Rising - question about character skins & text size
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:08:13 PM »
Thanks for getting back to this. I will try out the UI Scale feature.

As far as textures failing to load quickly I will try a lesser crowded channel and see what happens. Its strange that it appears that the skins are being downloaded each time you enter an area vs loaded from the local computer which would be so fast that you wouldnt notice the time it took to load. Maybe this is an anti-piracy feature to retain a mixture of important content server side to make private servers hard to create for the client. But personally with a game that is FREE to play in which i have yet to find limitations in the free play ... there is no need really for private servers to ever exist. As for the private illegal servers out there are mainly found with games that "demand" pay-to-play vs those that are free to play and give you the option to spend money for extras which is where the revenue is generated.

I was trying to get my wife to love the game Tera as much as I do, and she was turned away from it because she is too use to World of Warcraft, and said it is like a copy cat to it. I told her that World of Warcraft can also bee seen as copying projects before it, its just that WoW was your first ever game like this, and so everything else looks like copy cats to what you are already use to as the origin of these types of games. I play a number of them, Tera, WoW, Rift, Gates of Andaron, Allods, and others, although WoW and Tera are at the top of the list.