Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Inspiron Model !5R N5110 Running windows 7 64 Bit..Laptop Battery Problem  (Read 5468 times)

thomastt37

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi..I have been given this Laptop by my brother,it was functioning correctly and Battery Charging ,until,I  tried to Power it on today as normal with the Battery and Mains charger installed and it wouldn't power up,absolutely dead! But as soon as I removed the Battery[Dell Type J1KND 11.1V Cap 48W],the Laptop would power up from Mains OK.Does this indicate that the Battery is faulty?is there any way to test it?or is there some other fault with Motherboard etc? any help appreciated  Michael >NB I have tried discharging the circuits by depressing Power Switch for 20 seconds before installing battery and mains adapter but this doesn't make any difference.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Almost always it is the battery. The test is to try another battery. * Eventually you need another battery anyway. The average life of laptop batteries is about 2 years for many users.

* Yes, there are testers for laptop batteries. Such a tool for commercial use costs more than  a new battery. You can use a common mufti meter, but you need a new battery to use as a reference. Sooner or later you have to buy a battery, even to prove the problem is the motherboard. You don't want it to be the motherboard.

thomastt37

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks for that but I cant carry out fault diagnosis on the battery when the laptop wont power up with the battery installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  michael ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Let me make it clear. You buy another battery.
      Then, if you wish, you can run diagnostics to see if the motherboard  is at fault.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      Thanks for that but I cant carry out fault diagnosis on the battery when the laptop wont power up with the battery installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  michael ???
      You can take the battery to a shop and have it tested...
      Tip : don't get snippy when requesting Free advice.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sortija

I had the same problem than you, the solution was change my battery.