Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Optical Drive not working, need help with a solution  (Read 2904 times)

Al_Kudz

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Laptop Optical Drive not working, need help with a solution
    « on: August 13, 2013, 09:54:48 PM »
    My laptop's optical drive has ceased to work recently. Fortunately, I have an internal desktop SATA drive lying around. What is the best/cheapest way to connect it to my laptop? I'm thinking of buying a USB to SATA adapter (which also comes with a power supply) and use that to connect the drive. I found one here: http://goo.gl/ObLBfU
    and it seems like it's only compatible with 2.5"/3.5" HDD, but I don't see why it shouldn't work with a 5.25" Optical Drive (since the connections are the same). Will it work? if not, what is the best solution?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop Optical Drive not working, need help with a solution
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »
    It will work on almost anything. The optical drive can take a bit more power, but not enough to make a difference. I have used adapters like that and they do work.  The bad part is that you don't have an enclosure, so it is awkward to move  around. Go ahead and try nit, it's  the quick and easy fix to hour problem. Just not very neat. :D

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Laptop Optical Drive not working, need help with a solution
    « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »
    What is the brand and model of your computer?  How old is it?  Does Device Manager show the optical drive?