Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with accessing a specific website  (Read 4138 times)

violetapple

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Need help with accessing a specific website
    « on: August 22, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »
    I have been on a social networking internet site for over 6 years (MeetMe.com)... yesterday *poof* I couldn't access it. When I try to access it, nothing happens (I just stay on my home page) OR it will load, after about 10-15 minutes, but the login page is not correct... just a list versus pictures and correctly formatted. If it does load (incorrectly) when I try to enter my login information it just goes right back to the offkilter login screen (in other words... will not log me in). I can't access the site from my laptop or my Android device. My son is on the same site and he can login just fine (on his netbook) AND he can also access my profile from his netbook as well! A sidenote I was on the site with both my Android AND laptop at the same time before the problem occurred.

I have tried:
    clearing my cookies, history, etc.
    putting the site on my trusted sites
    making sure the site was not down for everyone (it is/was not)
    accessing the site from Facebook and e-mail (from the notification e-mails I am inundated with from MeetMe)
    pinging the site from the command prompt (but I realllllly don't understand what information that provided me)
    contacting the site administrator who said it was a problem with my computer communicating with the site
    turning off my firewall and lowering my antivirus protection (just to see if I could access the site)
    tried accessing it under compatibility view and control F5 to fully reboot the site

Meetme has always been rife with problems but this seems to be a problem with my computer and the site.

Soooo... I just need some help to ascertain if somewhere between my computer and the site there is a problem!

I have Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 8/Windows Vista

And it is worth noting that I have no issues at all with accessing any other website...

I am not a beginner with computers but definitely not an expert!  :)

Yasjalnadie

Greenhorn

• Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need help with accessing a specific website
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »
    Since you went ahead and pinged the website, were you able to get a response?

Also try changing your dns servers

Right click your LAN or WLAN (depending if you are wireless or wired)
    Click properties
    Highlight internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP)
    Select properties
    At the bottom click where it says "Use the following DNS server addresses"
    Prefered dns 8.8.8.8
    Alternate dns 8.8.4.4

Post results.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:16:11 AM »
    The above is a good idea, also just checking have you tried both Chrome and IE (you mention both) with the same result?
    How about your Android, same problem?  Is it connected via wifi or mobile data?  If it's on wifi, the suggestion above should fix it - if you're having the same problem with two separate devices it pretty much has to be an ISP issue, and DNS is what I would suspect.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20:16 AM »
    Another thing. Some local service providers block or blacklist some specific sites  with no explanation.  But in some cases the block is not by them. Instead, the site you want is blocking you, b recuse they don't like you.

In either  of the a above, one can try using a proxy. There are many. 
    Just one of many.
    http://www.canadaproxy.org/
    Do not pay for a proxy. Don't download software they offer.
    Here is one I have used.
    http://www.freeproxy.ca/
    Hope this is of some  help.
    -------------
    Also, ask your ISP to change you IP.

violetapple

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 01:20:27 PM »
      @Yasjalnadie
      I went to my LAN, Internet Protocol Version 4 (properties) changed it from 'obtain DNS server address automatically' to 'use the following...' using the 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 then Ok. I restarted my computer and I didn't see any change. Exact same problem. Did I misunderstand or miss a direction you gave me?

@Calum

I tried both Chrome and Explorer. The only difference I have seen is that Chrome goes to the list, on the site, versus the correct format, much quicker.
      The Android device is the same. I CAN log in occasionally but everything looks really strange and I can’t use it.
      I have a wireless router that I access the internet through… on all of my devices/computers/etc.

@Geek-9am

Here is something interesting. I tried it (pretty cool~there is so much to learn about computers!!!)  using a proxy server. I CAN log into the site, using my laptop, but I can’t access any of the components. As in if I click on my profile, click on anything for that matter, I go back to the proxy website. I can’t see any of the ‘postings’ but the website look as it should and I could log in. Which is a big leap in the right direction!

Soooo… what would the fact that I can log into the website with a proxy (but can’t use the site) be indicative of?

I really appreciate the help of all 3 of you, immensely! I just want to know what the problem is on sheer principle. I couldn’t even sleep last night trying to figure this out!  :(

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
      Some proxy sites may have more tools for you. The site is using a secure connection and the proxy can not work around  hurdles.

You are being blocked. But who? hard to day.

If you use another service, the problem with go away. Go to a neighbors''s house and use their Wi-F ™ and see.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:14:29 PM »
      Were you kicked from this site at any time ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »
      My son is on the same site and he can login just fine (on his netbook) AND he can also access my profile from his netbook as well!
      Try creating a new account and or post your protection application installed.