Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: media test failure, check cable error  (Read 2967 times)

jeevan

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    media test failure, check cable error
    « on: August 23, 2013, 07:21:58 AM »
    hey, i am experiencing a very new sort of problem to me. actually, i encountered a media damage problem with the hard disk, so i got it replaced. now, i am using the new hard disk, and i have installed windows 7 home basic onto my system with no drivers yet.
    the main problem now is, as i use my pc, it works fine, but after i shut it down, and try to open it the next time, it shows that "media test failure, check cable". also, it tells me to reinstall my windows cd. so, i enter my windows cd, and then the screen showing "press any key to boot from cd/dvd" comes up. and, i dont press anything there. and the windows just start. and i can use it again.
    this has really slowed down my pc and i am allowed to use only a temporary account now, which deletes all the data i store in documents.
    please help, i am afraid whether my pc is gonna shut down, or my hard disk is gonna go corrupted in the middle of my work. as i am doing very important work on my pc now.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: media test failure, check cable error
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:36:28 AM »
    I would be inclined to check your cables to the hard drive, both power and data, and perhaps try a new data cable and a different power cable if possible.
    Additionally, it would be a good idea to check the hard drive for any bad sectors.  HDTune can do a full drive scan and read the SMART data, too.  Do a full scan with it, and see what the result is.