Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows OS won't load/start with 2 HD  (Read 3417 times)

Denver777

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Windows OS won't load/start with 2 HD
    « on: August 24, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »
    Computer Description:
    MB: Intel D845GVAD2
    Processor: Pentium 4, 2.4 GHZ
    Memory : 2 GB of RAM
    IDE slot/port: 2 (Primary & Secondary)
    SATA slot/port : NONE
    HDD (IDE): Seagate IDE 320 GB, WD 40 GB
    ODD (IDE): LG DVD Writer,  Pioneer DVD Writer (both are UDMA supported)

My computer has developed a typical/unusual problem.
    Now it is possible to connect upto 4 IDE drives directly through MB (2 on each IDE slot)
    The Primary  & Secondary IDE slots are equal in their capability and work independent of each other. Isn't it?

Now, the primary IDE channel functions as it should without any problem.

But when I connect  a drive (HDD or ODD) through  secondary IDE slot, it is detected by BIOS but I get problem though of different nature depending on whether a HDD or ODD is connected.

Also, this problem with secondary IDE slot/channel was not present earlier.

In case when HDD (IDE ATA/100) is connected through this secondary IDE slot, THe OS - Windows XP loads but ONLY when 1 single HDD is connected throught this slot. Also, the HDD runs at the top UDMA 5 transfer speed and on which it should. No problem upto here. But when I connect the second HDD (slave) to the secondary IDE slot and then start the computer, the computer does not start. Ie. The computer boots up but when one will expect Windows XP to load the Windows XP does not load. Instead I only get a blank screen. And it remains in that state. No error message either.

In case of  DVD Drives (ODD/ATAPI), when I connect just one of this type of drive  to the secondary IDE slot, the Windows OS loads and starts but only when I manually set the drive data transfer mode from the fast UDMA (which this drives supports) to the slower MWDMA2. Otherwise Windows XP loading screen with blue bar appears on screen but it soon gets stuckup and remains in the same state (similar to as with HDD with some difference). If I connect second ATAPI drive to this secondary IDE slot, then too the Windows OS will load but again only when I set this drive data transfer speed also to MWDMA2 mode. If I set to any speed greater than WMDMA2, the OS won’t start/load in case of ODD.

NOW, when I connect the same drives (HDD or ODD) to the Primary IDE slot using same IDE cable, I get no problem at all. I am able to operate the computer with 2 HDD or 2 ODD at their full transfer speed (UDMA).

From this it can easily be concluded that the IDE drives and IDE cables (I use 80 wire new cable) are not defective/damaged. Neither is the Windows XP is damaged. Because I have done full reinstallation work a number of times and I encountered the same problem again and again.

Also, This problem I face only when after Windows OS is installed on the computer. Before the installation , I get no problem of the computer hanging in middle due to this drives. So, at first though it seems that it is the problem of device drivers (software) which are installed with Windows OS. BUT IT IS NOT DUE TO DEVICE DRIVERS. 

What I think is that the Windows device driver which make the device (H/W) work interact with the H/w component/parts which have got damaged ( on the MB ) and due to this damaged component and corresponding driver combination the system gets hanged. (therefore to make the computer work I have to make some compromise)

I also tried with installing Windows 98 OS which takes less resources to operate than xp. It too like XP was unable to load. But it gave a message stating something that

“Insufficient memory to start Windows. Remove devices from Config.sys or remove any TSR program.”

This when infact the Config.sys file was blank and no TSR program are installed. Also, the memory is 2 giga bytes and I have earlier successfully run Windows 98 with just 128 MB RAM!!!!! So the question is why this sufficient memory message is reported when actually there is more than sufficient memory to run the OS??????? Clearly, it is not the problem of RAM type of memory. Maybe it is reporting problem with some other type of memory.

IF I AM CORRECT, then the question arises that which component on THE MB has got damaged? From the article on the component called Southbridge http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/soutbrid.htm, it seems to me that  the southbridge, which is present in the form of an IC on the MB, has got damaged as it responsible for controlling the hard disk/IDE devices.  But how to be 100% certain that the southbridge (called ICH by Intel ) has certainly got damaged? This because all other I/O connection on the computer are working fine which too are controlled by southbridge. Maybe a component connected to southbridge has got damaged? Please Help.

Southbridge on my MB should be the flat IC with Intel written on it on the top. Below of it  is written FW82801DB F3270054 SL6DM Philippines. Isn’t it? Is this IC available?

Further, when I install the software "Intel Application Accelarator" which works with XP and is used to increase the data transfer speed between the drives, the computer won't start even in the setting it earlier managed to work

Also, I looked for signs of visible damage to MB and its components. No visible damage was found expect for 1 capacitor near the IDE slot which seemed to have burst(1500 6.3V) (developed “+” shaped crack from the top). It was changed by a computer repair shop but when I again checked in my house, the problem still persists. The IDE slot is also fine.

So. Please Help to identify the exact damaged component.

Thanx.         

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows OS won't load/start with 2 HD
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
    The secondary HDD's need to be jumpered accordingly and correct...
    The OS's you installed to these HDD's and in which order will determine how a boot drive is determined and better yet what your results will be...
    The cleanest method if in fact all 4 HDD's have their own OS installed is to install it with no other HDD's present and you use the BIOS at startup to determine which drive/partition you want to boot to...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows OS won't load/start with 2 HD
    « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:50:06 PM »
    Have all IDE devices been verified using another computer? If thedon;t nwork on another PC, the problem is drive compatibly.

Are you using a cable that allows cable select. Cable select is preferred is caswe anybody but you has to work on the computer.

The behavior you describe also happens when the PSU does not have enough power to run  8 spindles plus floppy.