Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Pro Repair Installation Gone Bad...  (Read 2684 times)

Collin Carey

Windows XP Pro Repair Installation Gone Bad...
« on: October 18, 2005, 12:01:43 AM »
First off, I would like to thank in advance anyone who can possibly help me.

COMP:
AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Special (Thoroughbred core)
1.5 GB DDR333
nVidia Geforce 4 4600 Ti
111 GB Western Digital JB (Main Drive)
72 GB Western Digital
40 GB Western Digital
Soyo KT400 Via Motherboard
C-Media (On-Board) Sound
500 Watt PS
TDK 42x24x42
DVD-ROM

I had a corrupt installation of Windows up and running, brought back form the dead. I could and couldn't do certain things, (WMP was dead, could play HL2, etc...)

So I tried to repair the installation, failed while finalizing stating that the productcatalog could not be install and that tabsrv would not work.

Then I did an install of a second Windows, under C:\Windows2, which was installed with the wrong disk. (It wasn't my day...) So now my OEM Pro CD-Key is not recognized by that installation.

After which I installed XP on a different HDD, the 72 GB one, which works fine, and was able to look at the C: drive. Basically how it stands now is that there are two installations, one being a repair, stuck halfway. AND, it gets better..., it seems that in my quite frustrated state I entered my same username as before, which now shows that my Desktop, My Documents, etc... all of my stuff is gone. It says access to the folder is not allowed. The properties show that the folder contains no files. However there was no change regarding amount of space used on the drive. So in essence, I think, the files are still there, although they are not being recognized.

ANY TIPS, HINTS, OR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, FOR 6 YEARS OF WORK (70 GB) IS AT STAKE.

Thanks.

Collin

Collin Carey

Re: Windows XP Pro Repair Installation Gone Bad...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 12:17:18 AM »
I apologize fo the duel post, I had an error the first time and it never loaded. Yeah, my computer skills are 1337 right now.  :'(

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: Windows XP Pro Repair Installation Gone Bad...
    « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 01:38:45 AM »
    Hi Collin,

Biggest tip? Back up your data on a weekly basis.

When you tried to repair the installation did you have any USB devices attached to your pc? Mouse and keyboard are ok, but it's the modems, printers, PDA's etc that can cause problems.

Was the original drive encrypted? If so you would need the key to access it again.

HTH
    Jim
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!