Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Supply fan is making a lot of noise!  (Read 2844 times)

Nick2029

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Supply fan is making a lot of noise!
    « on: October 18, 2013, 04:27:58 AM »
    I ve had this before,I would open the computer and clean the supply fan and the problem was fixed,now I ve tried to open it and clean it but it does not stop making noise the next day I open my computer,I did this 3 times and it was still doing the same thing

I now just put some slim brush from the outside of the box,to just stop it for 1 second and realease it ,afterwars it does not make noise but could this lead to a problem?Should I try something else to fix thew noise?

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Supply fan is making a lot of noise!
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 06:53:06 AM »
    Lubricate the fan.

If you are able to, then

1) Take the power supply out of the computer casing by unscrewing it.
    2) Remove the cover of the power supply.
    3) Carefully Unscrew the fan.
    4) At the center of the fan will be a sticker. Remove that sticker.
    5) After removing the sticker, there will be a small rubber cap fitted inside the center of the fan, take some sharp object or tweezers to remove that rubber cap. See this image: http://www.dansdata.com/images/fanmaint/peel500.jpg
    6) Buy a small bottle of one of these: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21PYLXjAzRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg Its very handy. Called WD-40.
    7) After removing the cap, in the cavity, spray 1-2 small drops of this spray. Rotate the fan with your finger a few times. Hold the fan and move it up and down a few times slowly without breaking anything, so that the lubricant reaches inside properly.
    8 ) Re-fit everything. Be careful with the wires, they should not get stuck in the fan while re-fitting back.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Supply fan is making a lot of noise!
    « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »
    Oiling it can fix it, however if it is groaning it is worn and I'd replace it with a new fan.

You can with power disconnected and being safe not to touch any capacitors etc that can store power and shock you,  cut the 2 wires to the fan, unscrew the fan from the power supply and add a same size and voltage fan in its place. Then match up the red and black wires and I suggest using shrink tubing to insulate the wires that can be twisted together or soldered to make electrical connection and make it safe to operate when you seal it back up. * Just want to make sure you tie wrap any extra slack in the wire so that the fan doesnt eat it.

I have done this before and its like a 10 minute process if you have a like size and voltage fan to install. ** Be sure you install it the correct way for airflow direction. Make note as to the airflow direction the original fan was set up as. There are usually arrows on the outter plastic that show the direction of blade rotation as well as airflow direction.