Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 8 product key has too many sets of 5  (Read 5111 times)

stumble

Topic Starter

Beginner

• me(mother) and my daughter (left)
  • Experience: Experienced
Windows 8 product key has too many sets of 5
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
I bought a hard drive from Newegg and then I bought a OEM copy of Windows 8 from Newegg to go on it.   I am at the point of entering my serial which I carefully with a bright light and a magnifying glass copied the multi-colored item marked key and entered them first on paper and then into the set and now Windows tells me it's wrong. Part of the problems is that the key on the envelope  (no box) has 9 sets of 5. Which of those 9 sets do I use?   Newegg  said I should contact Mircosoft but I bought an OEM version.
Sandy

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows 8 product key has too many sets of 5
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »
Just leave it blank and continue the installation. Later ou can resolve the issue.
Microsoft has a 800 number you can use later.

EDIT: forgot to mention, you should, if possible, have your PC on the Internet with Ethernet. If wireless, you will have to give the windows 8 installer the wireless security code.

stumble

Topic Starter

Beginner

• me(mother) and my daughter (left)
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
It's either continue or quit. No skip button >:(

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »
You may have extra info that is not needed written down. I would use the first group of key info which is alpha numeric and enter that info. If you find yourself getting into groups that are numbers without letters then you likely wrote down the extra info that is on the key. If you type in the info starting at the first group of alpha numeric and fill the info in until no more fields are empty and then continue, you should be ok if the key is good.

* Also... just a FYI... Please do not post the key info here to confirm what is a key info from the other info on the label as for someone could steal your key.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:40:49 PM »
It's either continue or quit. No skip button >:(
I never said there was. You leave the key blank, Nada, zip. Then just go on.
This is documented elsewhere.
http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-skip-product-key-when-installing-windows-8/
While skipping a product key during the installation is nice, it won’t get you too far as it used to be. You will need your windows 8 activated before customizing your Windows, i.e. PC Settings.

If using a USB instead of  a DVD, there may be other things you have to do. See the article in link above.