Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Temporarily Disabling Programs in the Control Panel  (Read 4653 times)

digidummy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Temporarily Disabling Programs in the Control Panel
    « on: October 19, 2013, 08:35:42 PM »
    Seems to me this would be a useful feature. I searched it, and im guessing antivirus stuff is about the only programs the computer will allow you to disable. I could be wrong, and to be honest id be shocked if i werent.  You can disable things in the device manager. What about the control panel?

Maybe you are having trouble with a program, and are just not quite sure which one it is....or if its even that at all. (like i am  :P)

I dunno. It just feels like something that would be useful and easily do-able. No?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Temporarily Disabling Programs in the Control Panel
    « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »
    Here is a suggestion. Use one of the excellent tools you can get free.
    Search for a program called 'WinPatrol' and download it.
    WinPatrol has become a heavyweight in its class and is considered a "must" on any PC by most users. The latest version of WinPatrol brings several improvements, limiting PC resource consumption while adding even more security and stability. With WinPatrol you can rest assured that all your expectations will be fulfilled effectively, providing an excellent user experience. Download WinPatrol now 100% free with absolutely no viruses or any other cyber-threats.

It does work.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »
    At command prompt:  msconfig.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 10:48:40 AM »
    MSCONFIG was designed as a diagnostic utility and should only be used at such. To temporarily disable apps it's fine, but to permanently disable apps there are lots of simple utilities (such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel or, as Geek mentioned, WinPatrol - though the former is among the simplest for just disabling startup apps).

digidummy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
      Kool! thanks. I figured it was do-able.  One thing i should have mentioned was the my OS is x64 and both of the programs that you gentlemen mentioned are 32bit installs. I guess im not sure how to approach that scenario.

Im a bit new to 64 bit and my guess is that a "bridge" or compatibility mode would be my solution. Thats a total guess, as i know nothing about either circumstance.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:05:38 PM by digidummy »

digidummy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »
        Nope! I was totally wrong about that. Winpatrol does have a 64 bit application....Hence the screen name :)

digidummy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
          At command prompt:  msconfig.

Im not sure what to make of your post. Ive never had anyone knowingly identify my IP, ISP, and web browser. Is this a concern? Are you joshing me? Are you just trying to make me aware?? - with respect of course....Im just not sure what to take from it.

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
          • Sup!?
            • Where we learn IT daily!
          « Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »
          LOL, you only see your info.
          Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

digidummy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »
            LOL, you only see your info.
            Hence the screen name :) ....Its only on his post tho...Thats what threw me off. Thanks bro!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:14:38 AM »
            Hence the screen name :) ....Its only on his post tho...Thats what threw me off. Thanks bro!

It's in his "signature" - this means that he has chosen, via his forum profile settings, to add an app which shows each viewer of his posts their own ISP, IP address, and browser name/version. Your information is only seen by you. You can put all kinds of things in your signature area. You can go into your forum profile and check "Don't show user's signatures". It's in the "Look and Layout" section.

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 05:47:14 AM »
            Kool! thanks. I figured it was do-able.  One thing i should have mentioned was the my OS is x64 and both of the programs that you gentlemen mentioned are 32bit installs. I guess im not sure how to approach that scenario.

Im a bit new to 64 bit and my guess is that a "bridge" or compatibility mode would be my solution. Thats a total guess, as i know nothing about either circumstance.

Startup Control Panel does not require an install and it works just fine with 64 bit OS's

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 06:57:08 AM »
            Startup Control Panel does not require an install and it works just fine with 64 bit OS's

You can get an installer which puts in the Control Panel "Startup Control Panel 2.8 (59kb)" or "Standalone EXE Version (34kb)" which goes wherever you want. As Mike Lin says, his StartupMonitor complements it nicely. It is a program which runs in the background and warns you that a program is trying to get itself to start with Windows, and asks if that is OK or not.

http://www.mlin.net/index.shtml

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »
            Lower right-hand part of your post, also shows your IP.  For everyone else, it shows logged to you.
            Google "Public IP Address".  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address
            No computer in the works has the same Public IP as you.

It's like the address of your house. It's unique, i.e.  Number, Street, City, State, Country, Planet

Architecture was designed about 40 years ago by some very smart people:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_protocol_suite

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 03:32:54 PM »
            ADBlock works nicely on it...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "