Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Builder  (Read 4109 times)

OldXPS

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    New Builder
    « on: November 11, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »
    Okay so im new to PC building and what im building is probably a lot cheaper than searching and buying online. Atleast i hope lol. Basically I want to build decent gaming PC. And i want to know if these specs would be compatible with everyhting i chose. Heres the part list.

Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 LGA 1150 Intel B85 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Entry DVI Business Intel Motherboard
    CPU Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00
    Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 Intel 4th Gen CPU Haswell and AMD Phenom
    Video Card:GIGABYTE GV-N660OC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM
    Computer Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 FD-CA-CORE-3000-USB3-BL Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New Builder
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:20:57 PM »
    Looks good to me. But I am not a gamer. Sorry.
    One question. 
    Why did you pick MSI B85M-P33 motherboard?
    Just asking.

OldXPS

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
      Cheap

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:09:29 PM »
      That looks pretty good assuming you aren't planning on ever overclocking.

That said, I would really advise against going for the MSI motherboard and getting something from Gigabyte or ASUS (Won't cost too much more) - MSI isn't great from a quality point of view.  The motherboard is pretty much the "core" of your system, it should be a large proportion of your budget, not something to get "cheap".

As far as the power supply goes, OCZ can be a bit hit or miss - Hopefully someone could advise if that is one of their "good" units or not.  You may also want to consider something like the XFX Core Series or something from Corsair as these are generally better - Anything above 500w will be enough for your machine.

Only other thing to remember is that the GeForce 760 is out now so if you want the "latest" stuff then you may want to look into switching out your 660 for that.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
      camerongray, Thank you.
      Hope he gets the hint.
      Gigabyte is a better choice.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
      Scrimping on a MBoard makes about as much sense as people who scrimp on a PSU...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

OldXPS

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 03:28:58 PM »
        Ok so based on your guys recommendations, heres the new motherboard and power supply.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B85M-D3H LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
        Power Supply: CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

All of this will be totaling around $850. Wish it could be a little cheaper but I think it would do. But before i make my descision. Is there a way that i could add a video card to my Laptop. It has integrated HD4000 graphics. And if i can't could you guys let me know? Some of my games havent been able to work due to the sound card problem and I would like to change that as well.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
        ...Gigabyte is a better choice.
        Not always.  I got one from a gamer because they couldn't figure out why it boot-loops 0-4 times before the BIOS screen; never consistent.  If it boot-loops even once, you must go to the BIOS to confirm overclock info.

Turns out, it doesn't like any video card you install.  Once you get the BIOS screen & it boots Windows, no problems at all.  Maybe it's unique to this series of Gigabyte only, but I have heard of others that also boot-loop.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
        Ok so based on your guys recommendations, heres the new motherboard and power supply.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B85M-D3H LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
        Power Supply: CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

All of this will be totaling around $850. Wish it could be a little cheaper but I think it would do. But before i make my descision. Is there a way that i could add a video card to my Laptop. It has integrated HD4000 graphics. And if i can't could you guys let me know? Some of my games havent been able to work due to the sound card problem and I would like to change that as well.

That looks fine to me (others may comment though).

No, you cannot add a video card to a laptop with Intel HD graphics as most laptops have their video cards soldered to the motherboard and do not provide any form of slots to install them - This is the main advantage of desktops nowadays.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
        Looks fine to me, the CX600 is a decent budget PSU, roughly on par with the OCZ ModXStream as neither are top tier, but neither are awful.  I would however edge towards the Corsair myself.
        If you can squeeze the 660Ti into your budget, do, it's worth the extra over the 660.  The 760 is another solid choice, also consider the AMD 7850/7870 as they're now last gen and often come up on deals.