Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suggestions for a video card? 300$ range  (Read 4626 times)

Liggerstuxin

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Suggestions for a video card? 300$ range
    « on: November 12, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
    This is my computer.

HP ENVY h8-1534 Desktop PC

I got this computer refurbished for 399 whith free shipping :)

What kind of the video card should I get for around $300? Should I get a pci 3.0 even though I can only support a 2.0? Am I going to have to get a new power supply? So I guess my budget is between 300-400$. Thanks in advance guys!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Suggestions for a video card? 300$ range
    « Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 02:31:19 PM »
    Not a bad computer. I would get a better power supply 650watts vs just a 460watt if you are going to run a high end card which will likely need the additional power connections vs just powered off of the PCIe bus connection thru the motherboard.

Do you have a specific video card in mind or a preference of AMD/ATI or nVidia GeForce?

Also what games or application do you have for this to try to help you get the better card for your money. Anyone can spend $300 on a video card, but if you looking for saving some money instead of just buying one in the $300 price range, there are some good cards out there for less than $300.

System Info here:
    Brand HP
    Series ENVY
    Model h8-1534 (H2N64AAR#ABA)
    Type Student/Home office
    Usage Consumer
    Processor AMD FX-6200 3.8GHz
    Processor Main Features 64 bit Six-Core Processor
    Cache Per Processor 6MB L2 Cache
    Memory10GB DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive 1.5TB SATA 7200RPM
    Optical Drive 1 SuperMulti DVD Burner drive
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7570
    Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet
    Power Supply 460W
    Operating System Windows 8 64-BitMotherboard
    Chipset AMD 970CPU
    CPU Type AMD FX-Series
    CPU Speed FX-6200(3.80GHz)
    L2 Cache Per CPU 6MB
    L3 Cache Per CPU 8MB
    CPU Main Features 64 bit Six-Core ProcessorGraphics
    GPU/VPU Type AMD Radeon HD 7570 2GBMemory
    Memory Capacity 10GB DDR3
    Memory Speed DDR3 1600
    Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
    Memory Slot (Total) 4
    Maximum Memory Supported 32GB
    Hard Drive
    HDD Capacity 1.5TB
    HDD Interface SATA
    HDD RPM7200rpm Optical Drive
    Optical Drive Type DVD Super MultiFront Panel Ports
    Front USB2 x USB 3.0
    Front Audio Ports 2
    Card Reader 15-in-1 multimedia card readerBack Panel Ports
    PS/22
    Video Ports1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 Display Port
    Rear USB4 x USB 2.0
    RJ451 port
    Rear Audio Ports 6 ports
    S/P DIF1 port Expansion
    PCI Slots (Available/Total) 1 x PCI Express x16 (Gen 2.0)
    3 x PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0)
    1 x PCI Express mini card (for half-length add-in cards) with USB

Liggerstuxin

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »
      I want to basically run all the latest games in high. At the moment I can play Battlefield 4 on medium settings. So if I upgrade the power supply would I be able to run a PCI 3.0? I've  read that there isn't much of a bottleneck issue when you do that. Can I get a Zotac card? Or should I stick with name brands? Is it possible for me to have multiple video cards in the system? If I could get away with adding a couple cheap ones for the same effect I would consider that too.
      - thanks again.

Liggerstuxin

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 10:41:08 PM »
        Also whats the diffrernce between pci express x16  and x 1?

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »
        The motherboard is what is limiting you from making a ultra powerful gaming rig. If you want to run 2 x video cards teamed as SLI or Crossfire, as well as have PCIe 3.0, I'd check into swapping the motherboard out with one that isnt limited.

However I have yet to read of a game that requires PCI 3.0 to operate, so you should be able to get by with a powerful video card added to this system with a strong power supply to handle the additional load. Depending on video card installed, 460watts might cut it, but I like to not run a power supply at its max rating and have one that has room for additional loads if needed, so a 650watt is a good PSU for a gaming rig.

Answers to your questions:

PCIe 16x and 1x are 2 totally different connections, with 16x and 1x also having differences in bandwidth to the BUS. The 1x is a smaller width connection on the motherboard and the 16x is a wide connection. 1x connections are usually used for adding cards that are not video cards, such as USB 3.0, Sound, Network Adapter, SATA III controller, etc. And 16x is mainly video cards.

PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0 ... I have seen good gaming systems running on max settings with PCIe 2.0, however, most are running SLI or Crossfire with ultra settings with teamed GPU processing power. *That is not to say that the game can not run off a single powerful video card though with 2.0. I dont have a system to compare against for single card and max settings to give you factual info, but maybe someone else here can. Generally the system resource requirements of each game are a good indication though of what hardware specs you need to play the game at minimum or recommended specs, with recommended specs being those that you want to match or exceed in resources with. I have yet to see a game that wont play well on max graphics and other feature settings at the recommended system specs.

As far as ZOTAC brand goes. I have a motherboard and a video card of there brand and no problems. When it comes to buying any new hardware I suggest a Google search of it to see if there are anyone reporting issues with it. Sometimes the reason why prices are a deal if because they are unloading the products at a reduced cost to get rid of the problems vs a recall to fix or trash them. So with every brand and specific make/model I suggest a quick search before you buy to make sure that all looks well and not many complaints with it.

As far as getting by with cheap video cards... My one friend has a motherboard with crossfire and so he added 2 cheap cards which teamed together make the 2 cheap cards act to that of a single more powerful card ar a fraction of the price. But he would have much better GPU processing/rendering power if he had 2 powerful video cards vs 2 bargain cards teamed. He saved about $50 looking at the benchmark of the GPU processing power his system has with 2 bargain cards to that of a single powerful video card, but it is also less power efficient for the same GPU processing power.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would get a single powerful video card and upgrade the power supply and see where that would bring me if it were my system and I needed ultra settings. If I find that I needed more GPU power, I'd upgrade the motherboard and get one with 2 x PCIe 16x slots and add an additional card that can team with the one I have and the 650 watt PSU should be ok for 2 cards unless they are overkill processing power cards. Most dual video card systems will run fine on a good quality 650watt PSU vs a 650watt chinese knockoff that states 650 watts, but is improperly labelled to sell what is really 400watt internal guts. Good name brands for PSU are best to go with than GoldenPower or other cheapo brands.

Liggerstuxin

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
          Thank you Dave for the detailed explanation. I found it very helpful. :)